Decktonic - Dance Machine

Decktonic

Decktonic - Dance Machine

Post by Decktonic » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:46 pm

Dance Machine is here! 11 tracks, KORG DS10, dirty bassy dance music. Pay-what-you-like means you can have it for free if you want, but if you’re feeling generous, money is nice too. Stream & download @ Bandcamp.

1. Supernova
2. Vic Viper
3. Tension
4. Banger
5. Bassfisher
6. Punk Robot
7. Rock Rock Rock Rock
8. Direct Hit
9. Dance Machine
10. Digital Sound #10
11. Licensed for Use (Anthony Seeha Remix)

Love & Tonic Records #001
one more link in case you missed it
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

Decktonic

Re: Decktonic - Dance Machine

Post by Decktonic » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:21 pm

bump?
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

The Industrialism

Post by The Industrialism » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:34 pm

I've downloaded the album, but I haven't listened all of it. Rock Rock Rock Rock and Supernova rules!

powerrave

Post by powerrave » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:03 pm

i like it!
my RP forum. yeah... pretty much all i need a sig for.

Geolm

Post by Geolm » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:12 pm

Just downloaded this morning, here are some short comments:

Supernova: I really like the second part but the overall track is really good.
Vic Viper: I find the melody repetitive, I am not able to get it in the mood of this song.
Banger: My favorite one, simple and effective :)
BassFisher: Quite restful, I'd love to hear some chords over though
Rock Rock Rock Rock: Oh yeah :)
Digital Sound #10: Even if it is not a pure ds10 track, it's a good break in this lp
Licensed: Good remix, I can hear the style of anthony

I think you did a real good job on this LP, you have some nice sounds and your style is definitely recognizable. Thanks for sharing.

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:49 pm

Thanks Geolm, that's really helpful. I'm glad you like it. I was hoping for a strong response when I released this but it's been lackluster. It sucks because I was supposed to release this with a chiptune label but then they had a problem with the way I was promoting it so I had to release it myself. I think there are some good songs on here but not many people are going to hear them.

So if you guys could share this with your friends, maybe mention it on twitter, etc. that would be very helpful. I woud be eternally grateful, etc. etc.

Infininja

Post by Infininja » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:19 am

You know how people thought Daft Punk's Human After All was too repetitive? That's kind of how I feel about this. There are a lot of good ideas and sounds that just seem to meander around until the song dies out. I'd like to see you incorporate more patterns in your songs.

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:25 pm

Infininja wrote:You know how people thought Daft Punk's Human After All was too repetitive? That's kind of how I feel about this. There are a lot of good ideas and sounds that just seem to meander around until the song dies out. I'd like to see you incorporate more patterns in your songs.
True. My mistake was I would use all 16 patterns (or 15, keeping one empty) but most of those patterns would be copies of other patterns with just a few changes or an added instrument. Would you mind telling me which songs were the least repetitive or which songs you liked the most?

ugocapeto

Post by ugocapeto » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:52 pm

what do you mean the label had a problem with the way you were promoting it? if you don't mind sharing :)

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:49 pm

ugocapeto wrote:what do you mean the label had a problem with the way you were promoting it? if you don't mind sharing :)
Yes, share if you don't mind.

Just loaded your album into my ipod and will be listening shortly.

Infininja

Post by Infininja » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:32 pm

Decktonic wrote:
Infininja wrote:You know how people thought Daft Punk's Human After All was too repetitive? That's kind of how I feel about this. There are a lot of good ideas and sounds that just seem to meander around until the song dies out. I'd like to see you incorporate more patterns in your songs.
True. My mistake was I would use all 16 patterns (or 15, keeping one empty) but most of those patterns would be copies of other patterns with just a few changes or an added instrument. Would you mind telling me which songs were the least repetitive or which songs you liked the most?
I think the second part of Supernova does a good job. I also like Bassfisher, Punk Robot, and Rock Rock Rock Rock, but those are some of the bigger offenders. :p I do like Digital Sound #10, but I know that's something different.

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:06 am

Syscrusher wrote:
ugocapeto wrote:what do you mean the label had a problem with the way you were promoting it? if you don't mind sharing :)
Yes, share if you don't mind.
Mmmm okay I don't want to get into too many details because I don't want to burn any bridges with the label... I'm still on their roster and I hope they'll book me for shows in the next few months. Basically what happened is they didn't realize I only had one album of material and before anything had been finalized on a release date and before they really knew what I would be releasing with them, I was booked for 8static in PHL and I wanted to print some CDs so I would have something to sell. So I also made some preview material to promote my CDs online, and I did tell the label about the CD I was printing and showed them stuff. After the show they were like, so what are we releasing. And I was like, hey I have an album, 11 songs. Can we do this mid-march? And then they were like, is this Dance Machine?

And then it was like, we don't feel comfortable with that. We would want to be involved with the promotion. We don't want it to look like we are just latching on to something that's already out there. And so I had to discuss it with them but there wasn't any changing their minds in the end.

So something that I spent more than a year on, and that I thought could be a pretty good chiptune album and possibly a good example of what can be done with the DS10, instead of getting released on a somewhat prominent chiptune label, I had to release myself and has only been downloaded less than 30 times. I mean 30 times isn't that bad... it's just not that great.

So uh, lesson learned I guess!

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:13 am

Oh and this is after another label (not a chiptune label) had shown interest in Bassfisher before most of the album was done but never ended up releasing anything.

bryface

Post by bryface » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:25 am

k, i was able to carve out some time to listen.

your primary strength it seems is in the actual production of the sounds, the synthesis aspect you handle like a pro and there are no problems there. you know exactly what to do to achieve a particular sound on a technical level, and that's a super important asset for a platform such as the DS-10. Not many are able to do that!

i think the most important area of improvement for you to consider for the future, though, is what i call harmonic cohesiveness. You've got these riffs that "make sense" on their own, but they're almost encapsulated in their own little worlds, disembodied from each other, and not always aware of each other. The effect of this is that sometimes i don't know what key or scale mode a particular song is supposed to be in, and the end result is a feeling of confusion or of being "lost". Multiply these "lost" sections by however long you repeat them and you get the "meandering" feeling that Infininja describes.

In order for a song to work better as a cohesive whole, there needs to be a sense of rhythmic/harmonic interplay. what purpose does this riff have in relation to the other elements of the song? do the elements reinforce each other rhythmically and harmonically? Otherwise, the listener gets lost, or they can tell that the composer is just killing time with random riffs. at a certain point, it becomes less of music and more of just sounds played in order.

Of course these are all pretty heady and cerebral concepts, and i know you've mentioned before that you don't have much experience with music theory, but this album is a good example of what you potentially miss out on until you develop better grasps on things like counterpoint, chord progressions, committing to a key, staying in the correct scale. These are concepts that initially sound like the stuff of classical music and sound perhaps out of place in the world of electronic music, but when you get into them you realize how universal they are to the inherent "enjoyability" of a song.

In fact, that's why i think Digital Sound #10 sounds the best to me - you picked a chord that made sense and you stuck to it =)
I should also mention that the chord progression in the 2nd part of Supernova is great, it's a progression i don't think i've heard before but it also miraculously "makes sense" harmonically.
One other example of this harmonic structure is Anthony Seeha's remix of Licensed for Use. He's a major stickler for harmonies and you can even hear for yourself how that concept can really prop up a song and make it easily listenable.

Anyway, i'm glad you were able to release these songs into the whole DS-10 ecosystem and that others can enjoy what you offer to the table. sucks to hear about the label miscommunication though.

And sorry if i was overly verbose in the criticism part, but not many budding musicians can crystallize exactly what their music is missing and i really believe that if you focus on these things, you'll be amazed at what you can come up with, given your already apparent skill with the synthesis.

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:56 pm

Hey Decktonic! I just finished listening. I like alot of what you've got going on in here, it's always enjoyable to listen to stuff with a different approach. My favorites are Supernova, I really like the breakdown in Vic Viper, Punk Robot, Direct Hit, and Dance Machine. Also, your artwork is nice too. I dig the glow coming off your name and the title. I saw you grabbed my stuff so I was gonna download yours too, call it a fair trade?

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:33 pm

bryface wrote:k, i was able to carve out some time to listen.

your primary strength it seems is in the actual production of the sounds, the synthesis aspect you handle like a pro and there are no problems there.
i think the most important area of improvement for you to consider for the future, though, is what i call harmonic cohesiveness. You've got these riffs that "make sense" on their own, but they're almost encapsulated in their own little worlds, disembodied from each other, and not always aware of each other. The effect of this is that sometimes i don't know what key or scale mode a particular song is supposed to be in, and the end result is a feeling of confusion or of being "lost". Multiply these "lost" sections by however long you repeat them and you get the "meandering" feeling that Infininja describes.

[...] counterpoint, chord progressions, committing to a key, staying in the correct scale. These are concepts that initially sound like the stuff of classical music and sound perhaps out of place in the world of electronic music, but when you get into them you realize how universal they are to the inherent "enjoyability" of a song.

In fact, that's why i think Digital Sound #10 sounds the best to me - you picked a chord that made sense and you stuck to it =)
I should also mention that the chord progression in the 2nd part of Supernova is great, it's a progression i don't think i've heard before but it also miraculously "makes sense" harmonically.
One other example of this harmonic structure is Anthony Seeha's remix of Licensed for Use. He's a major stickler for harmonies and you can even hear for yourself how that concept can really prop up a song and make it easily listenable.
Had a full listen today and while I enjoyed it much of it I had EXACTLY what Bryface explained going through my head. Some of the riffs just don't gel with each other rhythmically or harmonically. Don't be discouraged-time, practice and application will help.

Sorry to hear about the label troubles.

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:29 pm

Thanks guys. I will definitely be working on my compositional skills.

@AudioArtist yeah, that sounds fair! :)

phemt88

Post by phemt88 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:01 pm

Wtf.....!!?? :x
"Sorry, that something isn't here"... :cry:
The connection was lost, or you deleted the page? I can't listen the tracks! :?

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:47 pm

Sorry, I took it down. You are not missing out on much. Please check out my newer EPs which are much better:

http://decktonic.bandcamp.com/album/dark-mode

http://decktonic.bandcamp.com/album/all ... ot-friends

all KORG DS10+