Geolm - Who needs samples?

Geolm

Geolm - Who needs samples?

Post by Geolm » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 pm

As promised here comes my EP completely done on one korg ds10+, you probably have heard most of the songs but there are some differences, I did some mixing correction and some songs have new ending and last but not least you can download the whole album in FLAC which means no dirty soundcloud compression.

Anyway I like to hear your feeling about this release, I will in a near future hopefully add a ds10-user-only description of all tracks here on this forum. You can share this album as you wish as long you do respect the license, it's a free download.

http://geolm.bandcamp.com/

Cheers
Geolm
Last edited by Geolm on Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

AudioArtist

Re: Geolm - Who needs samples?

Post by AudioArtist » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:58 pm

I really like this Geolm. These tunes somehow sound different as a group than they do individualy.
It makes me think of a mellow squarepusher. Some of the off-time elements are amazing. Thank You for the share!

Infininja

Post by Infininja » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:30 pm

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Edit: Hmm, I should probably provide a copy of the CC license with my stuff too, huh.

Geolm

Post by Geolm » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:09 pm

It makes me think of a mellow squarepusher
Oh I like squarepusher, thanks for your comment.

As I said above, I'd like to share with you some details about the songs I wrote on this album. I don't want to "teach" something because I don't have the right and it is not my purpose. But since I read stuff about harmonic, rhythm concept for decktonic album, I want to talk about my song and may be it will help someone or may be we can all learn from it (including myself of course). If you think this useless or off-topic, just tell me I will shut my mouth, I swear ;) Now, let's go for it!

First post, first song : Got the idea from your hard drive.

The overall structure is very standard, AABA, the B part is the bridge with very few instrument. And for the A part in fact, I got the idea from my piano, I played only chords, the progression was made of moving chords over a static bass then the bass moves with the chords. It's a modal progression, we're in D dorian (see greek modes), here's the progression:

[[: Am/D | Bdim/D | Am/D | Am/D :]]
[[: Am/F | Bdim/G | Am/D | Am/D :]]

The bass is doing a D pedal the first 16 bars, then it moves with chords (in same direction). Notice that Am/F and Bdim/G can be also spelled Fmaj7 and G7. The sound for the bass uses the "side chaining" effect describe the video by Anthony. Drums are pretty standard 4 on the floor for the bassdrum, kick on 1 and 3, the woodblock has a rhythmic phrase which lasts two bars. Chords are done with 2 instruments, a "chord" using an interval between the oscillator and another instrument for the top note (sounds like a bell). The lead synth is doing some kind of riff and does an arpeggio when the bass moves (on chords Am/F and Bdim/G).

The tune is done in song mode with mute automation, it uses 16 patterns but it is just for limiting the annoying click-bug.

That's it, hope you like this explanation, please tell me what do you think about it because I need to know if I should write the same kind of info for other tracks.

Cheers

damnie

Post by damnie » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:34 pm

Dude, that was beautiful.

That was impressive enough listening regardless of whether it was made with a DAW/sofysynths, let alone completely with the DS-10.

A testament that you have written in a style that is totally suited to pure synthesis :D

Were they all written in dual mode? There's some really nice percussive details throughout...

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:38 pm

Great EP! Really consistent in style. Loved the sounds and vibe of the whole thing.

Like I said I liked it all but my faves are "Got The Idea From Your Hard Drive" and "You Thought You Knew Me".

Well Done. Really well done.

powerrave

Post by powerrave » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:42 pm

I am seriously loving this! My favourites are 'You thought you know me' and 'Screaming'. great job man.
my RP forum. yeah... pretty much all i need a sig for.

Geolm

Post by Geolm » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:18 pm

damnie wrote: Were they all written in dual mode?
Indeed, all tracks use dual mode, I can't write songs in single mode anymore.

Thank you all for your comments, I'm glad that you like this release.

bryface

Post by bryface » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:26 am

Random thoughts as i listen to the album:

#3 You Thought You Knew Me - cool glitch beat, interesting texture in the 2nd half
#4 Floora - Nice indies vibe and evolving riffs. Things get muddled up with two basslines in the middle of the song though.
#5 Screaming - riff in beginning. overall the spooky vibe works well. buildup in the last third is good.
#6 There is no reason - interesting evolving pads in the background. structure is good, stays interesting. ending "bonus" part is great

overall: minimal techno isn't really a style i enjoy a lot in general, so i don't know if i have much to say here, but you pull the style off well and texture is good. some chord choices are kinda weird. leading-tone/7th chords always sound weird to me, and it sounds like there are a lot of them to be found here.

i think the development and progression throughout each song could have been a bit bolder so that the textures you establish don't become stale quite as easily. the overall sound is understated and muddled (understandably so given the style), but it could venture into the higher frequencies more often for some more bite. other than that, you show some highly competent synthesis here and you've managed to achieve a high degree of consistency between the songs.

rating: orange out of 5

Infininja

Post by Infininja » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:30 am

Orange? Surely it's worth at least a turtle.

Geolm

Post by Geolm » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:00 am

#4 Floora - Nice indies vibe and evolving riffs. Things get muddled up with two basslines in the middle of the song though.
In my point of view, this is the weakest tune of the EP. For a long time I wasn't sure if it should be part of the album.
some chord choices are kinda weird. leading-tone/7th chords always sound weird to me, and it sounds like there are a lot of them to be found here.
True, as I play a lot of jazz my ears got used to play b9, b7 and #11 over chords. In jazz school, we practice solo by playing 3rd and 7th of each chord, that's why for me it's ok for a melody to be on the 7th and it has been used a thousand times in standard american music (listen to "All the things you are" for example). But I understand that is not very appropriate for techno music.
the overall sound is understated and muddled (understandably so given the style), but it could venture into the higher frequencies more often for some more bite.
Definitely, it's a big problem with my music I abuse the low pass filter. I tried to have a more balanced music in term of frequencies but I wasn't satisfied with the sound (too chiptune or too 80's). But I know that I have to work on that.
Sorry I don't understand this expression, what does it mean?

Thank your for your constructive comment, I appreciate :)

Infininja

Post by Infininja » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:17 am

Geolm wrote:
Sorry I don't understand this expression, what does it mean?
I'm fairly sure he was rating it arbitrarily because ratings are bad measures.

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:05 pm

I will buy this as soon as I'm at a desk. SO MUCH EXCITEMENT!
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

HarleyLikesMusic
Site Admin

Post by HarleyLikesMusic » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:06 pm

Just streaming on bandcamp as i download it.
Sounding amazing upto now! I know already this is going to be listened to alot by me.
i'll post again when i've listened all the way through.x
DS-10 Producers that I have seen live:
AuxPulse, Critical Strike, DS-10 Dominator

(I will travel the world and add a lot more to this list one day)

Geolm

Post by Geolm » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:54 am

Hi, I continue my ep description if you don't mind...

For the song “screaming”, I wanted something a little spooky so I based the whole song on a specific scale which is the melodic minor in Eb, it’s Eb F Gb Ab Bb C D. The structure of the song is very simple, I use a two slightly different 8 bars phrase. The first one uses this chord progression:

[[: Eb min-maj | % | % | % | % | % | Fmin | Bb7 :]] note the classic II-V turn-around. The bass plays a two bars phrase [[ Ab | Bb ]].

In the second section of the song, the bass follows the “screaming” synthesizer, so the chord progression is a bit different.

[[: Cmin | % | Eb min-maj | Bb7 #11 :]] Note that the first synth stills repeat the same note with some muting).

Otherwise there is no fancy stuff, it uses all instruments available and the second deck has delay on all drums samples (first time I do it). The song was recorded in song mode with live freq/peak knob tweaking using the kaoos pad.

Ultraman

Post by Ultraman » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:39 am

I like the album, the sound are soft and they relaxe me.
i love ambiant music and easy listening, it's perfect for meditation.
Do you released other cd ?

Geolm

Post by Geolm » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:10 am

Nope I didn't release anything else, I wrote about 20 songs on the korg ds10 but for this ep I have selected the most enjoyable. And I won't do a pure 100% korg ds-10 anymore, I'd like to incorporate other instrument to ds10 based songs. Thank you for listening :)

Geolm

Post by Geolm » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:29 pm

A bit off topic but I've released a remix of one the song of this album, it's a kind of house track.

http://soundcloud.com/geolm/floora-house-remix

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:57 am

Geolm wrote:A bit off topic but I've released a remix of one the song of this album, it's a kind of house track.

YES BUT HOW DO I DOWNLOAD THIS? BECAUSE I WANT THIS.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:57 am

Geolm wrote:A bit off topic but I've released a remix of one the song of this album, it's a kind of house track.

YES BUT HOW DO I DOWNLOAD THIS? BECAUSE I WANT THIS.