Filtering the click glitch

Syscrusher

The "Click" Bug

Post by Syscrusher » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:07 pm

Just thought I'd start an actual thread about the "click" bug. Haven't yet tried any of the proposed solutions as I've been quite busy. Soon.

Has anyone noticed that a "click" will often disappear if you start the song in a different place? ie: there is a "click" at the top of bar 20 but if you start the song at say, bar 15 it is no longer there.

I think this is most evident when long filters are involved and starting a song in a spot other than the actual top of the tune results in filter sweeps that are offset differently (thus a "click" may not occur in the same spot).

HarleyLikesMusic
Site Admin

Re: The "Click" Bug

Post by HarleyLikesMusic » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:25 am

i havent noticed this (probably because i dont use song mode much)
but i have noticed that sometimes (not always) when playing about in live mode and switchting between synths to play with that can sometimes cause a click.
DS-10 Producers that I have seen live:
AuxPulse, Critical Strike, DS-10 Dominator

(I will travel the world and add a lot more to this list one day)

robowist

Filtering the click glitch

Post by robowist » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:39 am

A question about the so-called "click glitch" on the DS-10: Is it possible to record a piece and then filter out the clicks with a computer program?

A student of mine (I'm a high school English teacher) who is much more computer-saavy than me told me this should be easy to accomplish. He even went so far as to start programming something which would allow a computer to filter out the clicks in real time, but he ran into problems with delay.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Re: Filtering the click glitch

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:43 am

I always love all the weird clicks and noises that appear randomly :)
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

robowist

Post by robowist » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:11 am

DS-10 Dominator wrote:I always love all the weird clicks and noises that appear randomly :)
. . . of course there is also the exciting challenge of trying to mask or sidestep the clicks.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:15 am

Which clicks do you exactly mean? can you attach an mp3 here?

robowist

Post by robowist » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:08 am

DS-10 Dominator wrote:Which clicks do you exactly mean? can you attach an mp3 here?
The clicks are common when using the drums. For example, if you have play a "one shot" note that has some sustain to it and then hit a different note before your initial note has ended, there is a click when that second note is hit.

But there are more situations where I will hear clicks. For example, if I have sustained note playing and I then increase or decrease the volume using the volume grid, I hear clicks with every transition to a different volume. The same thing occurs with the panning grid.

I read on the forum about using the Kaoss pad, which has more sensitive steps than the grids, so I'm wondering whether that would have any impact on the click glitch.

Some ears (my wife, for example) don't hear the clicks that I hear.

If there is interest, I could make a mp3 file that will isolate a few situations where clicks are generated . . . but that will have to be after I finish my Haunted Mansion piece.

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:36 pm

I know of the clicks of which you speak. I have successfully masked them by using sound effects generated with unused drum tracks. I find if you start playback from different points in a song the click will disappear. You can then record that section of the tune and then cross-fade it into your final recording - not an optimal approach if you want to make a 100% "pristine" DS-10 track but it works and is imperceptible if done right. Selective eq may work to a point. I have found that the process of avoiding this glitch has led me to interesting places ( to my ears anyway it is not a pleasing accidental artifact ) so it's definitely worth experimenting to find ways around it.

Careful use of the "release" often has an effect, however sometimes it's not in line with one's musical intentions.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:48 am

Threads merged

dlharp2

Post by dlharp2 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:03 am

robowist, if you apply a high pass on the clicking sections it should resolve it. you can do this easy in audacity.

robowist

Post by robowist » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:32 pm

The audacity solution was one that my student mentioned. I haven't tried it yet, but I will. I'm wondering if the high pass has any unintended effects on other aspects of a recording. That is, does it filter any non-click sounds that are actual parts of the recording as opposed to the click artifacts?

Also, if the high pass works, is it possible to get this solution to work in a real time/live situation?

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:56 pm

I've found that a notch EQ can sometimes combat the click glitch. It doesn't eliminate it but merely makes it less audible in a mix. Depending on the sound a good notch EQ at about 12,000-13,500-18,000Khz can make it almost undetectable, assuming you have other elements that can further mask it's presence. The low pass filter can also be good at masking these IF it doesn't also rob your sound of necessary brightness.
The main problem with the click glitch is that it can be fairly prominent even down to the 350-500Hz range. Your only option then is to reprogram your loop to eliminate it or to use frequency masking to make it less audible. For example, a hi-hat sound that occurs simultaniously can serve to mask a click.