Homework anyone? DS-10 Academy

robowist

Homework anyone? DS-10 Academy

Post by robowist » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:34 am

I've been working through the "Music Theory" section on the forum and a couple books on basic music theory and composition (the "Idiot Guides" by Michael Miller to be exact). The books give assignments after every chapter, and I'm now working on this one:

"Compose a 32-measure song in ABCA form: verse, chorus, bridge, and verse. Use the key of G in 4/4 time, and label each section of the piece."

I work slow, but in a couple weeks I should have something worked out and I'll post it in the "Tracks."

But I'm wondering if there would be any interest in someone periodically (say, once every couple months) posting an assignment focussing on some specific aspects of music theory, synthesizer technique, musical style, etc.. Maybe one or more of the more experienced/knowledgable musicians on the forum would be willing to offer critiques to those "students" who completed their homework (and posted it on soundcloud) by the deadline. It would be cool to see people of varying levels of experience work out an assignment.

By the way, I am not one of the more experienced musicians here, so while I'd be happy to give input on creating assignments, and would provide my reactions to others, I'd love to have someone with better knowledge giving feedback.

Any interest in something along these lines?

xGx

Re: Homework anyone? DS-10 Academy

Post by xGx » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:42 am

Sounds like an excellent idea, very intrested in something like this however right now I am desparately trying to finish my first Korg DS-10 album to have the time for side steps like this :(

robowist

Post by robowist » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:10 am

xGx wrote:Sounds like an excellent idea, very intrested in something like this however right now I am desparately trying to finish my first Korg DS-10 album to have the time for side steps like this :(
No problem. I'm looking forward to the album. That "Winter Wrap-up" piece is on my regular playlist. 8-)

I should add that we should try to keep the assignments manageable: We might start with things that would be less than a song in length.

HarleyLikesMusic
Site Admin

Post by HarleyLikesMusic » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:58 am

This sounds like a great idea if you can get enough people interested!
DS-10 Producers that I have seen live:
AuxPulse, Critical Strike, DS-10 Dominator

(I will travel the world and add a lot more to this list one day)

alex

Post by alex » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:09 pm

I'd be in for this. Sounds just like the sort of kick up the arse I need.