Pattern and songs on DS-10+

ky_couture

Pattern and songs on DS-10+

Post by ky_couture » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:16 am

I'm pretty sure this is a simple question, but the ds-10's manual is a bit confusing on this bit and i'm looking for some clarification on how patterns work with the ds-10 plus in dual mode. Do patterns on both A and B deck always have to sound simultaneously? Like, if I want to play a pattern I have created in PTN 3 bank (in single mode) and then load it up in dual mode, does the PTN 3 in the second session always have to sound as well (assuming mutes aren't set or anything). I'm basically trying to find out if it is possible to have an A- PTN3 and a B- PTN3 that can be played separately, effectively doubling the amount of stored patterns. I feel like this is not the case, but I want to double check with people who've used the ds-10+ more fully than i have.

Syscrusher

Re: Pattern and songs on DS-10+

Post by Syscrusher » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:11 am

You are correct; it is not the case that, for instance, A-PTN3 and B-PTR14 (by the way I like your nomenclature) can be played together. The A Deck pattern and the B Deck pattern always sound simultaneously (assuming mutes aren't set or anything).

This was a point of consternation/confusion with me in the beginning as well. I really wanted the compositional freedom to layer multiple parts against each other without using up patterns, however I quickly got used to the fact that this was not possible and quickly got used to the idea of a "four voice pattern" (excluding the eight possible drum tracks)

Welcome!

ky_couture

Post by ky_couture » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:56 pm

thanks for the reply. thats what i thought the case was. since it's kind of on the topic, are there any good guides or threads here about using song and the mute features in the ds-10+?

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:37 am

ky_couture wrote:thanks for the reply. thats what i thought the case was. since it's kind of on the topic, are there any good guides or threads here about using song and the mute features in the ds-10+?
There are so many I don't know where to start...

One big point that is often missed is that a song on DS-10+ can be twice as long as plain DS-10 - Choose A-B in the tab top rightish and choose your patterns accordingly in each deck's song layout - after song A is played song B will begin instantly - tempo can even be changed if desired.

carlosfer89

Post by carlosfer89 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:31 am

Wow, I knew that Deck A and B played simultaneously always in Deck A, but I mistakenly thought that if I created a song in Deck B that it would only play those patches I created in Deck B. Now I know that it isn't true, that both song sequencers in Deck A and B play both Decks simultanously, which therefore means that I have 200 bars to work with! Which is great! Thanks for the help :).

Geolm

Post by Geolm » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:47 pm

ky_couture wrote:thanks for the reply. thats what i thought the case was. since it's kind of on the topic, are there any good guides or threads here about using song and the mute features in the ds-10+?
One thing about muting (this is a great feature of the ds10+) if you mute a synthesizer with a long release it can make a "pop" sound (artifact) you must be precocious. There is few/no volume interpolation on the korg ds-10 which means that everytime the volume changes quickly (mute, stereo effect, volume in step sequencer) it can generate a nasty click/pop sound, so does the unmute...

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:39 am

Yes, and panning can produce artifacts as well especially when using the pattern edit screen. The Kaoss pad has a much finer response and is less likely to produce the artifact.

As far as song mode goes, there is a pattern arranger for deck A and deck B. Each one plays both decks simultaneously and is 100 patterns long (or is it 99?). Basically this means you can have two different arrangements of the same song which you can select by selecting deck A or deck B. Or you can have one long 200 pattern length arrangement by selecting the A then B playback setting.