Daft Punk or Justice Clap sound?

aparsons

Daft Punk or Justice Clap sound?

Post by aparsons » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:26 pm

Been trying to make a clap sound that sounds very Daft Punk-ish but had no luck. The best I could do is set the VGA EG to the Gate switch, set the Gate to 50%, and then select a low note on every second beat. The problem is that it sounds too crunchy. Is there any other way to give the sample more of a snap to it while layering it over a bassdrum patch?

Snakecharmer

Re: Daft Punk or Justice Clap sound?

Post by Snakecharmer » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:07 pm

well I’m not too sure, but I’d say if you already have a pretty decent clap then it's just a matter of tweaking until you find the sweet spot.

depending on what you're going for i would roll off the Drive and just a little of the Cutoff to take some of the edge off. a little less Peak might help too.

at risk of losing some of snap i would also take my Attack up a bit to get a little of the reverse reverb flavour and then adjust the Decay to compensate.

claps are also usually multiple clap sounds so i would try to get some harmony by setting my VCO Sync to Off, balance to around 12 o clock and VCO 2 Pitch right until you hear it thicken the sound. Then to add some tininess back in and make it sound more like more than one set of hands clapping use just a little delay with the BMP off.

Finally setting the pitch/note of the clap in the sequencer might get you in the ball park. All of my drums are set to the root, major third or fifth of my key and I find it really helps them gel, usually the kick will be to the root and the snare up a fifth. I’ve found simply adjusting the note of a sound yields dramatically different results.

Keep in mind too that you’ll have to adjust things for over all sound once you have all you parts playing together as phase cancellation is bound to occur and obscure the nuances of those tight little sounds you just slaved over.

I’m just shooting from the hip here so I hope this helps.

Cheers!
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Remix it.

Noiseman

Post by Noiseman » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:00 pm

Hey,

Can't give a patch because I lost one I had, but Snakecharmer gave really good insights on the clap sound.
I remember a patch on youtube for a clap sound. tweak that thing and make it your own.
On a sidenote, and again only adding to what was said before, you can move around the pitch/note on the sequencer and really make a difference on sound. I've been doing lots of dub lately and because of the one drop drums I've been learning a lot about placement of drums and "harmonizing" them. Where I drop my bass drum and snare, I usually put the bass drum as the key note and the snare as a third. When they hit together, the bass drum is really low profile but distinguishable and the snare sounds much fuller. Experiment with different things for different sounds ;)

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:56 am

All excellent tips here! Thanks for sharing.
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator