Something that would be really useful

Absintize

Something that would be really useful

Post by Absintize » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:00 am

I was thinkin' about this: if someone who knows exactly what's goin'on in the patch's screen could make a "map", showing various examples of what a patch would do, instead of another, that would be extremely useful.

I explain: most of the time I play around with that screen, nothing really happens. THIS is what drives me crazy about not knowing what I'm really doing, connecting cables around without a clue.

If not a map of all possibilities, at least a list of examples of routines in order to get this or that effect.

roblabs

Re: Something that would be really useful

Post by roblabs » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:27 pm

The patch screen probably takes the most time to learn, i think. But it can be the most rewarding (not to mention recording motion sequences a la KAOSS 3 parameters).

Start with the MG waves: Triangle - tends to make the sound go up and down, depending on freq and intensity.
Square - Same thing, but not as "round" as the triangle. If you apply this to the pitch, you can get additional sound besides what the osc is doing.
Saw - this works really well patched to the cut off.
S&H - good for random noises. If you apply to the Pitch(es) you can get random garbally computer noises.

EG and VCO2 (not affected by the MG's freq)
EG - this routes the EG to any of the parameters - pitches, cut off, and VCA
VCO2- this routes OSC2's waveform to any of the parameters

So, for instance, if you want some "wobble" or an LFO sound, you can route the Saw wave over to the cut off. Then adjust the freq for how much wobble you want - lower settings are slower, higher are faster, obviously.

I think the best way for you to learn is to work with only one patch at a time. If you start going patch crazy your sound will just get equally crazy, and you won't really understand whats going on.

Then when you get better at patching, you can also apply KAOSS 3 motion sequences which will further enhance your sound. Depending on what you're trying to achieve, you can record them or play them live. For instance you can set X to modify the MG freq, and maybe Y to adjust the intensity of the pitch or cutoff. This allows for further modulation of your sound. Again you have to experiment until you find what works for you.

hope that starts you off

DifficultListening

Re: Something that would be really useful

Post by DifficultListening » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:01 am

Absintize wrote:I was thinkin' about this: if someone who knows exactly what's goin'on in the patch's screen could make a "map", showing various examples of what a patch would do, instead of another, that would be extremely useful.

I explain: most of the time I play around with that screen, nothing really happens. THIS is what drives me crazy about not knowing what I'm really doing, connecting cables around without a clue.

If not a map of all possibilities, at least a list of examples of routines in order to get this or that effect.
I know this is a long way to work it out, but http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm has links to a really fantastic set of articles about sound synthesis that appeared over some years in Sound on Sound magazine, starting from utter fundamentals and going through to pro-grade patch creation [which the author has actually done for money]. The Modulation lesson is Part 10 if you want to cut to the chase. :D Highly recommended if you really want to get full control of a virtual analogue synthesizer.