Baroque Instrument Patches?

cmos7765

Baroque Instrument Patches?

Post by cmos7765 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:23 am

My first project is an album called "Silicon Brandenburg", which, despite the name, will also include other works by J. S. Bach. I need a few patches to get me started though. I most definitely need a harpsichord patch, but any other instruments from that period will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

One more thing. There was someone here who made a song called "Questing for Trezz" (it was great, I loved it). If you're around here, you wouldn't mind sharing the harpsichord patch from that with me, would you?

Syscrusher

Re: Baroque Instrument Patches?

Post by Syscrusher » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:22 am

Ambitious. Cool. If you can approximate some of the orchestral instruments then all the power to you. Myself, I would be inclined to take a Walter/Wendy Carlos approach and rethink the orchestration in terms of obvious synth sounds, but maybe that's jut my hang up. I've always thought that Bach would have S@&t himself over a monosynth. Old Johanne Being an organ enthusiast -and pipe organs are very similar in principal to analogue synths- I think Bach would have gone bozonkers over the sound.

cmos7765

Post by cmos7765 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:36 pm

I was most certainly thinkimg about Wendy Carlos. Bach would've had a Moog (or a Korg) if he was alive today.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Tue May 01, 2012 8:17 am

Check this out for some strings and harspichord:

http://ds10dominator.bandcamp.com/track ... gles-remix

Harspichord plays from about 3:00. Have to look up the patches some other time though.
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

cmos7765

Post by cmos7765 » Tue May 01, 2012 3:08 pm

Thanks, Dominator. Do you know what shape of wave makes that sound (square, tri, saw)? That would help me loads.

Also, which Brandenburg Concerto should I do? Does anyone have any idea which one is the shortest? And if I have other music besides Brandenberg, would the title sound...misleading, in which case I would change the title?

cmos7765

Post by cmos7765 » Mon May 07, 2012 4:25 pm

I've decided against imitating the instruments. I'm going to rethink the sounds in my own way. Thanks, though, for your help.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Mon May 07, 2012 8:39 pm

Cool :)

btw this might be an idea: first program the melody, then keep adjusting the patch until it sounds baroque ;)

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Tue May 08, 2012 1:58 am

cmos7765 wrote:I've decided against imitating the instruments. I'm going to rethink the sounds in my own way. Thanks, though, for your help.
if it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

sorry. so sorry.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

roblabs

Post by roblabs » Tue May 08, 2012 2:07 am

I've decided against imitating the instruments. I'm going to rethink the sounds in my own way. Thanks, though, for your help.

Better off, anyway. Remember, as dope as electronic is, it simply can't EVER recreate acoustic...most acoustic instruments have been refined over hundreds of years...and some like the flute and drums have thousands of years over everything else. Of course, electronic has its own advantages over acoustic just the same. Best to use it and abuse it!

cmos7765

Post by cmos7765 » Wed May 09, 2012 4:15 am

Great point, roblabs. If you look at this website, http://web.ncf.ca/bf250/energy.html, you can obviously see that the sound is much to complex to model with the tiny subtractive synth that the DS-10 is. The easiest thing to model is the soundboard, and it's still extremely complex. I guess I was asking for a bit much.
Maybe I will go the Wendy Carlos way and just make it up. It sounds a bit like the real thing, but it's completely new at the same time.

WMRhapsodies

Post by WMRhapsodies » Wed May 09, 2012 12:12 pm

I have worked a lot on baroque sounds for DS-10 (check out on my Soundclod the "Baroque Interlude" and the "Haunted Music Room", and maybe also "Duerme Ylenia", "NSF#0: Overdramatic" and the "SANCTUS"-link on my signature-).

But I think the non-realistical approach is right. I see some other more important issue for your project and that's the limitations of the DS10/DS10+ sequencer versus the complexity and length of any of the Brandenburg concertos (I think probably the Sixth is the shortest, since it lacks a second movement: there's just some indication for to make the transition with a couple of chords. It's also quite repetitive and uses a pretty limited and unsusal "only strings" -plus continuo- instrumentation).

You can take a look at this and wonder if it can fit on a DS10/DS10+/many of them/how many files…and that's just one of the (usually three) movements:

(That's comparatively "simple", think just on the hapsichord solo on the fifth..):

:|

(so f**** amazing...)

...Anyway, I have thought of making something like that many times, but I'm just too lazy and have a not really good musical ear: the idea of copying a MIDI file just bores me so much…These are some of my (shorter and mainly not so poliphonic) candidates for a J.S. BACH "cover", just in case they could serve as an inspiration for you (or anyone else):

(Just the archifamous prelude):

Way more complicated (but my favorite):

Recreate the cello or violin suites or partitas with some expressive "analog" synth sound would be lovely:

Or the first one of this viola da gamba and harpsichord sonata:

Last edited by WMRhapsodies on Wed May 09, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Wed May 09, 2012 12:27 pm

I too, love baroque.

I was amazed by this one earlier this week:

And here's a wonky remix of Bach, that I think works quite well. Might be a good example about what to do with synthesis....

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Wed May 09, 2012 1:47 pm

Personally I would start with a two part invention and then maybe work up to a three then four part. The length and relative simplicity are at least conceivable within the DS-10 sphere.

cmos7765

Post by cmos7765 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:44 pm

Syscrusher, I love that remix of Invention 13. Beautiful. I think I'll do my first song in that style. I'm going to do Invention 4, though. That one's my favorite.