Droid Sector bass?

Wolf Headed Muse

Droid Sector bass?

Post by Wolf Headed Muse » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:02 am

I am not a huge fan of dubstep but some of its darker kin have struck my interest such as: Droid Sector, Substep Infrabass, and ▲Bruxa▲.

So I'v currently been trying to replicate the bass/wobble that Droid Sector uses, I can conjure most generic dubstep sounds but as I noted before I'm not into mainstream dubstep nor do I want to incorperate its influence in my project. The bass of Dorid Sector is a little more unique by being dark, metallic, but yet fluid as well, but when I try to make anything that would sound similar to Droid Sector I fail, I have got close but still no cigar. So if anybody could offer ideas or suggestions it'd be grand.

Here is an example of the low bass that I desire:
http://soundcloud.com/droid-sector/tzr- ... ctor-remix

Wolf Headed Muse

Re: Droid Sector bass?

Post by Wolf Headed Muse » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:17 am

Better yet heres a more specific sound example in this track.

http://soundcloud.com/droid-sector/droi ... enied-free

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:56 pm

I guess this is the closest I have gotten to that sound:

http://decktonic.bandcamp.com/track/africa

If you want I can try to share the patch and you can modify it.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

SS7117

Post by SS7117 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:27 am

I give this a go. haven't done any dubstep in a while, but i can try to find something close.
"hey this is my signature, it's not part of every post I make." lol
[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/siteb-1/thingstoc ... ing-tracks[/soundcloud]

Wolf Headed Muse

Post by Wolf Headed Muse » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:38 am

Decktonic wrote:I guess this is the closest I have gotten to that sound:

http://decktonic.bandcamp.com/track/africa

If you want I can try to share the patch and you can modify it.
I like it, and sure man any/all help is much appreciated.

Wolf Headed Muse

Post by Wolf Headed Muse » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:17 am

SS7117 wrote:I give this a go. haven't done any dubstep in a while, but i can try to find something close.
Please do bro :)

HarleyLikesMusic
Site Admin

Post by HarleyLikesMusic » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:45 pm

DS-10 Producers that I have seen live:
AuxPulse, Critical Strike, DS-10 Dominator

(I will travel the world and add a lot more to this list one day)

Wolf Headed Muse

Post by Wolf Headed Muse » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:04 am

HarleyLikesMusic wrote:Maybe something like this of mine?
http://soundcloud.com/harleylikesmusic/ ... intendo-ds
That wobble is intense, plz share your knowledge?

fluid

Post by fluid » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:06 pm

I like how atonal it is. I can actually figure out a lot of what is going on, but I'm still scratching my head a bit. There is an impressive array of textures in that.

I'm not really a fan of the wobble bass on the DS-10, though. It usually just sounds like an LFO on a filter to me. Dubstep bass sounds are intricately layered so it's hard to get the sound right. I'm tempted to attempt a sound like the second example posted, but I have a feeling it would require at least two synths.

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:51 pm

ok I will try to make sure to post the patch later.

I do layer my main bass synth with a very low simple sine wave, to get really thick intense bass. But my problem has always been that I don't have the same bitcrushing effects that I can use in software like Ableton to make the bass gritty.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

Wolf Headed Muse

Post by Wolf Headed Muse » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:13 am

fluid wrote:I like how atonal it is. I can actually figure out a lot of what is going on, but I'm still scratching my head a bit. There is an impressive array of textures in that.

I'm not really a fan of the wobble bass on the DS-10, though. It usually just sounds like an LFO on a filter to me. Dubstep bass sounds are intricately layered so it's hard to get the sound right. I'm tempted to attempt a sound like the second example posted, but I have a feeling it would require at least two synths.

Yeah the closest I got so far was by using both synths so I could get more articulation.

Wolf Headed Muse

Post by Wolf Headed Muse » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:23 am

Decktonic wrote:ok I will try to make sure to post the patch later.

I do layer my main bass synth with a very low simple sine wave, to get really thick intense bass. But my problem has always been that I don't have the same bitcrushing effects that I can use in software like Ableton to make the bass gritty.

Ok cool :D
So you have to use both synths as well to get that complex of a sound?
And can bitcrushing be done during mixing as if it were in the effects rack? I might give it a try. I somewhat think that maybe its not so much the "sound" of the bass as much as it may be the "rhythm"

fluid

Post by fluid » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:37 pm

Wolf Headed Muse wrote:Yeah the closest I got so far was by using both synths so I could get more articulation.
Well, I tried using three synths and Decktonic is right, it seems almost impossible to get any kind of grit without bit crushing.

If you're going to do post-processing anyway, I would just record the synth parts individually and layer them in software while you're adding the effects, since then you can add different effects to different layers of the bass to tweak the sound. From what I've heard, a lot of dubstep producers create their sounds by splitting the base up into different frequency bands and applying different effects to the different bands.

Wolf Headed Muse

Post by Wolf Headed Muse » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:41 am

fluid wrote:
Wolf Headed Muse wrote:Yeah the closest I got so far was by using both synths so I could get more articulation.
Well, I tried using three synths and Decktonic is right, it seems almost impossible to get any kind of grit without bit crushing.

If you're going to do post-processing anyway, I would just record the synth parts individually and layer them in software while you're adding the effects, since then you can add different effects to different layers of the bass to tweak the sound. From what I've heard, a lot of dubstep producers create their sounds by splitting the base up into different frequency bands and applying different effects to the different bands.
Hm interesting...I need to try this method