Re-creating a beat on DS-10: Paris by Jay-z and Kanye

The Good Vibes

Re-creating a beat on DS-10: Paris by Jay-z and Kanye

Post by The Good Vibes » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:16 am

Hi, I made this account a while ago, but as far as I know this is my first post

I'm trying to re-create the beat to a song with my DS-10. The part I'm stuck at has a gradually increasing pitch for two bars, which was easy enough to do using the patch and triangle wave. The problem is, these two bars have to be two different patterns because of the underlying melody. No matter what I do, I can't get the increasing pitch on SYNTH1 from PATTERN3 to carry over onto PATTERN4. When I play PATTERN3 for two bars, it works the way I want, except that loops the first half of the melody - which isn't how the song goes.

In case that doesn't make sense here's the song I'm trying to do, the part I'm talking about is at around 15s before the first verse starts. http://youtu.be/FfM_wS7qYfY

If anyone knows how to do this help a guy out :mrgreen:

ghostils

Re: Re-creating a beat on DS-10: Paris by Jay-z and Kanye

Post by ghostils » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:58 pm

The patch method I think will not work since the triangle wave will rise and fall and start to rise on pattern2 and not stay on the same path resetting on pattern2. I would use synth2 mix in VCO2 in the synth edit, then tie Kaos2-X or Y to VCO2Pitch, and sequence in the kaos sequencer half of the rise on pattern 1, and the other half on on pattern 2. It won't be as smooth as the triangle wave but you can control its rise and fall if you want over several patterns.

ghostils

Post by ghostils » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:01 pm

Oh, you sequence a single note across both patterns all 16 steps on each, and make those steps legato in the sequencer so you get whole notes.

fluid

Post by fluid » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:35 pm

Exactly. Copy your synth settings from pattern 3 to pattern 4 to make sure that they are set the same and use a series of legato notes.