Re: Creating chords - Updated via NeoS

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:32 pm

Follow this tutorial of mine to squeeze chords out of ds-10

Last edited by ChrisLody on Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Re: Creating complex chords

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:03 pm

Great, thanks.

This helped me making Get In The Groove, Shoegazekid, first track on The Smallest Party Ever.
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:24 pm

My pleasure!

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:06 am

Not as complex but a handy tip

soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:13 am

DS-10 Dominator wrote:Not as complex but a handy tip
Very handy tip!

When i did my track parallax i used my chord trick alongside this lfo trick and ran the sequencer at half speed. So when you hear all those chords in the first 8 bars its all the same pattern. :ugeek:

alex

Post by alex » Sun May 02, 2010 7:35 pm

All very good and useful. Thanks man.

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:27 am

NeoS has informed me that it is possible to create ANY interval by recording your actions for the tuning of vco2 on the kaoss pad live rather than trying to enter the values in the kaoss data edit screen. Data recorded in realtime is much finer than that shown in the edit screen so you can tune intervals perfctly! This mehod may be somewhat trickier, but is worth pursuing if you want to get more chord changes into a single pattern.

You can see Neos talking about it in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=624

Thanks NeoS!

Inkmo

Re: Re: Creating chords - Updated via NeoS

Post by Inkmo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:48 pm

that's cool. I've used my keyboard to tune VCO2 to the third before, but it slipped my mind to just use the other synth XD.

So five steps down on the KAOSS is a half step? Does that mean we can use it to modulate VCOs in microtones?
J Kantz

Image Image Image

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:35 pm

Inkmo wrote:So five steps down on the KAOSS is a half step? Does that mean we can use it to modulate VCOs in microtones?
Not really i'm affraid, the kaoss x/y works in absolute mode meaning that the 12 steps represent the whole knob range rather than adjusting away from its previously programmed value. So no matter where you set the knob in the synth edit, when the sequencer hits that part of the kaoss x/y it will always move vco2 to a minor third (if its programmed like in my video).

You could get microtonal with NeoS's method though (realtime recording the kaoss x/y) as you can tune vco2 by tiny ammounts. I don'tknow much about microtonal stuff though, i've no idea what strange exotic scales you could use. Might be worth a go though :D

Inkmo

Post by Inkmo » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:42 am

Yeah I figured that one out when I tried it myself just now. Something I noticed is that it seems to be impossible to tune VCO2 exactly to the third. I'm hearing pretty clear beats at settings both sharp and flat. I got it tuned to the fifth, though. Will have to play with this more. Thanks for the tutorial!
J Kantz

Image Image Image

Geolm

Post by Geolm » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:55 am

Inkmo wrote:Yeah I figured that one out when I tried it myself just now. Something I noticed is that it seems to be impossible to tune VCO2 exactly to the third. I'm hearing pretty clear beats at settings both sharp and flat. I got it tuned to the fifth, though. Will have to play with this more. Thanks for the tutorial!
I don't know for third, but I've got the same issue with flatted fifth: it's not perfect. But I think it's ok, there are many instrument/singer which are slightly out of key. Even sometimes it's better, because for our hears when there are only perfect pitches it lacks some human feeling. That's why I often set the VCO2 a bit of a key when playing unisson sounds.

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:37 pm

Geolm wrote:That's why I often set the VCO2 a bit of a key when playing unisson sounds.
Out of tune oscillators are where it's at. Love that sound. Correct me if I'm wrong (The Industrialism) but isn't the Brazilian/Portuguese term for deliberately slightly out of tune "Desifinado"?

NeoS

Post by NeoS » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:38 pm

About the tuning: I'm certain you can get any western interval in tune, or at least very close, because I have used them all.
genius is 1% inspiration 99% perspiration (thomas edison)

Inkmo

Post by Inkmo » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:56 am

Syscrusher wrote:Out of tune oscillators are where it's at. Love that sound. Correct me if I'm wrong (The Industrialism) but isn't the Brazilian/Portuguese term for deliberately slightly out of tune "Desifinado"?
I'm certainly learning a lot hanging out with you guys! :D
J Kantz

Image Image Image

AnthonySeeha

Post by AnthonySeeha » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:36 am

Nice... I use the kaoss pad to make complex chords as well. I think it's the best way to create the right pitch accurately.

Coyote

Post by Coyote » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:28 pm

The question I have is, once you have it tuned like this, can you actually vary the note and still have an accurate chord, or would you have to program a different synth/pattern for each chord? Like, can I go up one from C to D, or does that produce the wrong tone?

I'm still a little shaky on how chords work.

NeoS

Post by NeoS » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:22 am

Coyote wrote:The question I have is, once you have it tuned like this, can you actually vary the note and still have an accurate chord, or would you have to program a different synth/pattern for each chord? Like, can I go up one from C to D, or does that produce the wrong tone?

I'm still a little shaky on how chords work.
If you're altering the VCO2 Pitch on Kaoss Pad 3, then you can produce accurate and in-tune changes in note (the upper or lower note of the interval, depending on how you've tuned VCO2 in relation to VCO1). I wrote in more detail about this in the following thread: http://ds10forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=624 If you have read that and still have questions, feel free to ask.
genius is 1% inspiration 99% perspiration (thomas edison)

n00bhere2learn

Post by n00bhere2learn » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:53 am

Wow, super awesome!!!
@ds-10dominator:
I love the song "Get In The Groove, Shoegazekid"!!!