Quirks of DS-10 (Bugs)

AnOwl

Re: Quirks of DS-10 (Bugs)

Post by AnOwl » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:56 am

I was despairing ever since I noticed the SMT/HLD bug on the Kaoss x/y... assuming that it meant you couldn't put any songs together using SMT style (since you have to stop the sequence to enter song mode). But it turns out that the bug goes away the next time a pattern is selected! So the first pattern in your song will be stuck on HLD mode, but the next pattern in the song will be SMT again (if that pattern has it selected). When recording out, you can even get tricky and start your song on the last pattern, then when it loops back to the start it'll be SMT again.

eight9

Post by eight9 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:56 pm

LPChip wrote:I've got a cool bug that I used in my song Walking.

If you have a patch that uses the Porta knob set to anything but zero (bottom left), and you have an effect with a delay on that synth, you can actually hear a bug. Enter some melody in the pattern screen, and make sure that the last note has a 100% on it.

The following pattern cannot have any note on the first place, but for the best effect, this synth should not have any note at all.

If done correctly, you'll hear somekind bell/snare kind of sound that is basically a pitch from the previous note to the lowest note and its echos. I can't really describe it. Just listen to:

at 0:57. Happens later in the video too.

Man I really love this song.
eight9 uses and abuses Nintendo DS Lite, Korg DS-10 Plus, Acid Pro 4.0 and EEE PC900

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:43 pm

I've found another small quirk in the sequencer that can be quite useful. I've been trying to figure this out for a while and have started using it myself on a new track so i thought i'd add it here. (I'll also add this to the opening post)

Legato/Retrigger between patterns

The sequencer will legato into another pattern if the exact same note is played at the end of one and the begining of the next but not if the note is different, regardless of the instrument sound being used (when looping a single pattern it will legato to any note). This can be useful because it means that a pattern can sound different depending on the note a legato settings of the pattern preceding it. For example it can be used so that a note at the start of a pattern falls silent when being played after one particular pattern but sounds when it follows a differnt pattern, this also works for the drum sequencer. Its a great way to get extra melodic and rythmic complexity from a limited number of patterns.

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:47 pm

AnOwl wrote:When recording out, you can even get tricky and start your song on the last pattern, then when it loops back to the start it'll be SMT again.
Thanks for this idea. That's exactly what i'm going to use on the song i'm working on as the first pattern needs to use SMT mode to simulate side chain compression. :)

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:24 pm

Also to paraphrase Geolm from another thread:

Bpm synced LFO's restart between patterns, Non synced LFO's do not

Moving into a new pattern that uses a BPM synced LFO will restart the LFO. However moving into a new pattern that has a non BPM synced LFO it will not restart and it will maintain the position of the previous LFO, even when moving from BPM synced to non synced.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:41 pm

Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing.
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

Inkmo

Post by Inkmo » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:11 am

I've noticed osc2's noise waveform being pitched but the others are a little beyond me.

one frustrating thing I've found is it seems synths with high sustain and/or release will click or sound like they're retriggering periodically if delay is turned on.

both oscillators on the drum machines seem to be have pitched noise. I don't really understand why, but it's pretty convenient for squeezing more out of the drum machines.
J Kantz

Image Image Image

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:38 am

Inkmo wrote: one frustrating thing I've found is it seems synths with high sustain and/or release will click or sound like they're retriggering periodically if delay is turned on.
This has been a problem for me in the past :(
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:53 am

Decktonic wrote:
Inkmo wrote: one frustrating thing I've found is it seems synths with high sustain and/or release will click or sound like they're retriggering periodically if delay is turned on.
Without delay as well I'm afraid.

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:57 pm

Syscrusher wrote:
Decktonic wrote:
Without delay as well I'm afraid.
Really? That's odd. I've experienced quite a lot of clicks from the drum tracks but not from anywhere else. Perhaps its digital clipping? :? EDIT: i realised i have heard clicks outside of the drum tracks. I would guess its also caused by zero crossing problems. See here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=601&p=3719#p3719

On the drum tracks my best guess is that clicking occurs because it makes no attempt to maintain zero crossing as the rendered samples are played back, which can sound pretty nasty if sounds overlap on the same channel. I've also encountered this on Nitrotracker and Music 2000 where i had to swap back and forth between channels to avoid it. With ds10 i tend to use only short attacks to hide it as best as possible or long gaps between softer sounds.

AudioArtist

Post by AudioArtist » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:37 am

I haven't figured this particular bug out. With some tunes, I'll save and come back later...Everything is out of key. All the basslines no longer match and all the melody lines seem as if the scale has been altered. I've had this happen many times, usually I can just close the session and reload it and things will be fine again. Sometimes everytime I reload the session all the notes re-arrange themselves, and I can close without saving, re-open and it will be different everytime. Looking at the piano-roll screen all the notes are where they should be, so this is the dirtiest nasty bug I've found with this game. Anyone else had this happen?

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Tue May 31, 2011 10:24 pm

Just found out the bug when patching EG to VCO1 PITCH... when switching patterns the cable is sometimes ignored :(. It doesn't seem to occur every time, but it's not predictable when it will happen. Does anyone know how a workaround or how to get rid of it? I was using DS-10 Plus Japanese.
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator