DAWs

Decktonic

Re: DAWs

Post by Decktonic » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:04 pm

A Launchpad or any one of those controllers would be awesome... but I gotta control my spending :)
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

MilesT3hR4t

Post by MilesT3hR4t » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:53 pm

well I have a number of DAW's as well, some legitimate some not. Under my belt are: session, Live, FLstudio, and Renoise.

I prefer FLStuio, and session, over live and renoise for one simple reason.

All tracks layed out in chronological order, left to right.
Renoise is a tracker, like OpenMPT, and is not only top down, but it looks like a spreadsheet.
live looks like a pile of play-buttons arranged by instrument, and I can't make heads or tails of it.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find session anymore, and it seems completely unavailable, and all I can find is pro-tools, which is basically the same thing.

FL Studio, pro tools, garage band, session, all great layouts. I have not figured out piano roll in all fo them though... mostly just FLStudio. I recommend starting there.

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:35 pm

Oh no, you have it all wrong. Live has both a session view and an arrangement view. Arrangement view is a lot like what you are used to with FL Studio. It goes left to right, and you have all your instruments/samples in their own lanes, and then you can apply filters by drawing them and so on. Session view is what makes Live special and sets it apart from other programs. It's like having all your instruments and samples laid about in front of you, and you can just experiment to you heart's content and come up with new bits and pieces of music as you go. You are supposed to use it to brainstorm before having to think about the actual song structure of your final piece.

If you think about it, FL, Reason, Logic... these may as well all be trackers. It's just horizontal instead of vertical. Sure, you can have samples, but some trackers can too. It's all the "live" features in Ableton Live that set it apart. I watched this one tutorial where an artist explained that he had to put together a track but he was stumped on the song structure, he had all his loops and samples that he had used in live shows but he had never arranged them before. So instead of using arrangement, he used session view, hit play, and went about queuing the different segments and playing them live, applying filters, etc. as he went, and then when he was done, the whole track was arranged for him in arrangement view and all he had to do was save it. That's a lot like recording tracks in pattern mode as opposed to song mode on the DS (which is how I do all my tracks).

Anyway, to each his own, but I can't help being a Live fanboy now.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

MilesT3hR4t

Post by MilesT3hR4t » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:14 am

I never actually knew live worked that way, I could never figure out how to use it at all, but I guess I'm gonna have to start fiddling with it, that's actually really cool!

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:20 am

Yeah you really have to view the tutorials, the interface is very complicated but once you know what everything is for, it all makes sense and you can breeze through it like the wind... like a really fast wind... a gale, I guess.