tracker tips

forficule

tracker tips

Post by forficule » Mon May 24, 2010 11:20 am

Hello,
back to the old days, I've used FastTracker2 on PC... Some of you have used trackers on atari or amiga, at this time it was all about stretching a complete song in 4 or 6 tracks.
With the ds10 you have to use some of this tricks :
- the basic one is to use the same synth for kick and snare or snare and hithat, you just play it at different notes, and you play with the gate...
- You can have a look to the sidechain tutorial, it's a classic trick on a tracker : a long sound and you play with volume.
- Think of the kaoss as your effect column on a tracker, and you get your portamento effects.
- You have to use all the steps ! two 180 bpm patterns can feat in a single 90 bpm pattern !
- With a lo-fi perspective, you can put a rythm, a bass line, some noise effects or more hithat/ride/crash in the four tracks of the drum sequencer. And you get the 2 tracks of the synth sequencer for having fun, add complex sounds, with effects...
I will post a 1 pattern, drum sequencer only soon, as an example...

ChrisLody

Re: tracker tips

Post by ChrisLody » Wed May 26, 2010 9:45 pm

Hey some good tips there. There's quite a lot that can be learned from trackers which can transfer to ds-10.

The only tracker i've used is Nitrotracker which is a basic tracker also on Ds. One trick i like to use on ds-10 is to use the kaoss x,y to adjust synth settings from step to step (waveform or filter type for example) to make the sequence sound like its moving between instruments, just like in a lane of a tracker sequence.

Its like you say, if you use every single step and all the tricks you can, you can make it sound like there is a lot more happening in your track than there actually is :D

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Fri May 28, 2010 8:19 pm

Nice tips! Thanks!
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

forficule

Post by forficule » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:29 pm

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/user941148/deubstp[/soundcloud]
Here's one, it's a 90 bpm song, using all the squares from the drum sequencer, it's a bit long, and need some reworking in the middle. For the synth I've used some of the tricks found on this forum : patch with square, and kaoss with vco...