A-B Back to Back

WarpToken

A-B Back to Back

Post by WarpToken » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:00 pm

So I'm making this new ambient track...it's slow moving at the start and then everything just starts building up. Then it shifts up in speed from 40 to 65 bpm doing double time when it switches over to the B patterns.

It was really confusing for me, but I finally figured out that when you're on the A deck: A = A patterns and B = B patterns. When you're on the B deck: A = B patterns and B = A patterns.

Clear as mud?? haha I only created and erased my song 2 times figuring this out.

I can't wait to finish this track up...it has some of the best sounds I've ever come up with.
Scope out my music!!
http://soundcloud.com/warptoken

QauNuckShin

Re: A-B Back to Back

Post by QauNuckShin » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:29 pm

Well, duh. That's obviously the most logical and user-friendly interface every created. :lol:
QauNuckShin // Snild Dolkow
Purist - single-take, single DS-10, no editing.
Author of the DS-10 Manager application.
http://dolkow.se/music, https://www.facebook.com/snilddolkow

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:05 pm

WarpToken wrote:It was really confusing for me, but I finally figured out that when you're on the A deck: A = A patterns and B = B patterns. When you're on the B deck: A = B patterns and B = A patterns.
:shock:

Lately I've been doing my songs in single mode at half-speed (so 62 BPM but 4 measures/pattern = 124 BPM) and playing them in pattern mode instead of song mode... partly to avoid dealing with stuff like this!
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:17 pm

WarpToken wrote: when you're on the A deck: A = A patterns and B = B patterns. When you're on the B deck: A = B patterns and B = A patterns.
Whhaaattt? That's crazy :lol:

I don't have the plus version so i don't have to deal with this nonsense! :D

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:25 am

When I save my songs I very methodically select A deck then save. Then B deck and save. If you name your decks appropriately you can check to make sure everything is in order before you turn the DS off. I have accidentally saved B deck to both slots and thought I was screwed but just re-saved and everything was A-OK. It's really not that bad.

Can't wait to hear your ambient tune WarpToken!

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:13 am

Syscrusher wrote:When I save my songs I very methodically select A deck then save. Then B deck and save. If you name your decks appropriately you can check to make sure everything is in order before you turn the DS off.
Yeah if I use both decks the names are XXXXXA and XXXXXB respectively.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

WarpToken

Post by WarpToken » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:07 am

Yeah...I didn't save the files in the wrong slot...I'm just talking about programming the patterns and mutes while in song mode with 2 decks loaded up.

This "ambient" tune is shaping up well...but the 2nd half is not so ambient =)
Scope out my music!!

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:23 pm

Hmmm, I guess I'm being a bit slow here but I'm not sure I understand the problem. For instance, when I'm in B Deck (in song mode) and I want to mute, say SYN1 in pattern A4, I mute the SYN1 box in the upper A Deck group. This makes perfect sense to me. I have never run into the confusion you are talking about. Can you give me a specific example of your problem?

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:44 pm

I think he means that he's not using the two decks at the same time, but rather, playing first all the stuff on Deck A, and then playing only on Deck B for the second half of the song. I could be wrong though. I have to say, sounds like a case where I would record the two parts separately and piece them together in Audacity, but I guess if you want to do the song live you need to get it right on the DS10.

WarpToken

Post by WarpToken » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:53 pm

LOL I'm not sure I understand it either!

What I'm doing is creating, in effect, 2 different songs that are linked and played back to back.
The first half of the song is 40 bpm with no shuffle...I programmed that in the A patterns in song mode.
The second half of the song is 62 or so BPM (actually 124 cuz I'm double timing it) with a touch of shuffle. I programmed these parts into the B patterns.

I'm using both decks together for my sounds. I totally understand the mutes...that's easy stuff...it's the whole A-B thing that changes it all.

Set the pattern set to A-B and try running them back to back
See what problems you run into. Just when I think I've figured it out, it does something I don't expect it to...like it doesn't automatically switch tempos sometimes.
Scope out my music!!

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:45 am

WarpToken wrote: Set the pattern set to A-B and try running them back to back
See what problems you run into. Just when I think I've figured it out, it does something I don't expect it to...like it doesn't automatically switch tempos sometimes.
Ahhhhhh....I see. I just tried to continue a tune from A to B and... whammo, total weirdness. I was actually trying to keep the tempo the same and kept on adjusting it to no avail. Not exactly intuitive eh? Still I think I'll wrap my head around it...hopefully.

WarpToken

Post by WarpToken » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:29 pm

good...I'm not just a moron! I kinda figured it out now, I think ;-)
Scope out my music!!

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:35 pm

You know...I found with the B section I had to go and reset the BPM on each pattern. I was getting a BPM change whenever the pattern changed. That may be useful little bug in the future...

WarpToken

Post by WarpToken » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:47 am

each pattern? Never had that issue! but that could be a cool thing!
Scope out my music!!

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:47 am

Whaoh, not only BPM but pattern length as well!

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:46 pm

Great, please post in the quirks/bugs list topic too ! http://ds10forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6& ... irks#p1154
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator