Open closed hi-hat patch request.

alex

Open closed hi-hat patch request.

Post by alex » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:44 am

Someone, somewhere on here claimed to be able to put together a hi-hat patch which played as open or closed depending on the gate. I've tried to put one together, but I just can't seem to nail it. Has anyone got a good one, or could you make one?

Why are percussion sounds so hard to synthesize?

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Re: Open closed hi-hat patch request.

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:20 am

Busy right now but a short reply: try patching VCOs with eachother, or try a very short delay time on effects, that should help when making metallic sounds.

It's not THAT hard to make percussion sounds, what other percussion do you want?
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

bryface

Post by bryface » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:48 pm

The key really is to have the sustain knob just a little higher than the lowest value. That way, the closed hihat sound can be shaped with the attack/decay and the rest that you don't chop off after the gate value constitutes the open hihat sound.

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:16 pm

You can get a good open and closed hihat out of the same drum channel without messing with the gate actually. Just program an open hi hat (try using just noise with a longish decay and tweaking the filter to taste, or try the one in my video below) and then where you want a closed hi hat sound you can edit the note that the drum sound is playing on, changing it to a few octaves above. Because the drum sounds are samples this makes it playback time shorter aswell as higher in pitch. Of course you can mix this up with gate lengths aswell for even more variation. This is a great way of getting extra sounds out of your drum channels.

alex

Post by alex » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:42 pm

I hadn't thought of it like that. Thanks for the tip.