Korg DS-10 Notation Initiative

Syscrusher

Re: Korg DS-10 Notation Initiative

Post by Syscrusher » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:09 pm

Just as a side note:

The octave designation used on the DS-10 (C3, C4 etc) is a universal octave designation system employed by the Acoustical Society of America. It's usage is widespread.

Here it is on the keyboard:
graphics1.png
graphics1.png (5.54 KiB) Viewed 734 times
Here it is on the staff:
octavecolor.png
@LPchip - The second chord in Walking is actually a Cdominant7th (or just C7) rather than Cmaj7. It's actually an important distinction: A "Cmaj7" chord contains the notes C-E-G-B (the 1st 3rd 5th and 7th of a C major scale) whereas a "C7" chord contains the notes C-E-G-Bb (the 1st 3rd 5th and b7th of a C major scale). Note that the triad C-E-G is the same in both chords.
The "maj" designation actually refers both to the quality of the 7th and to the "majorness" of the chord. It is telling you that the 7th is the unaltered 7th from the major scale.
Here are some 7th chords based on a C root and their spellings (the numbers refer to the degrees of the C major scale):

Cmaj7 C-E-G-B (1-3-5-7 or Do-Mi-So-Ti)

C7 C-E-G-Bb (1-3-5-b7)

Cmin7 C-Eb-G-Bb (1-b3-5-b7)

Cdim7 C-Eb-Gb-Bbb (1-b3-b5-bb7)

Cmin(maj7) C-Eb-G-B (1-b3-5-7) -the "James Bond" chord

I hope I don't sound too pedantic.
"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture"

LPChip

Post by LPChip » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:49 pm

Ah, you're right. Its a C7, not Cmaj7. :)

To illustrate my previous post about how notation should be used to lay down the melody and the keys, to allow anyone to play it like that, I made an example recording of me actually performing the song on my keyboard. I recorded this in 1080p quality and just finished uploading it to youtube. :D

You can view the movie here (note, song style is different on purpose)

eight9

Post by eight9 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:27 pm

Syscrusher wrote:Just as a side note:

The octave designation used on the DS-10 (C3, C4 etc) is a universal octave designation system employed by the Acoustical Society of America. It's usage is widespread.

Here it is on the keyboard:
graphics1.png
Here it is on the staff:
octavecolor.png
@LPchip - The second chord in Walking is actually a Cdominant7th (or just C7) rather than Cmaj7. It's actually an important distinction: A "Cmaj7" chord contains the notes C-E-G-B (the 1st 3rd 5th and 7th of a C major scale) whereas a "C7" chord contains the notes C-E-G-Bb (the 1st 3rd 5th and b7th of a C major scale). Note that the triad C-E-G is the same in both chords.
The "maj" designation actually refers both to the quality of the 7th and to the "majorness" of the chord. It is telling you that the 7th is the unaltered 7th from the major scale.
Here are some 7th chords based on a C root and their spellings (the numbers refer to the degrees of the C major scale):

Cmaj7 C-E-G-B (1-3-5-7 or Do-Mi-So-Ti)

C7 C-E-G-Bb (1-3-5-b7)

Cmin7 C-Eb-G-Bb (1-b3-5-b7)

Cdim7 C-Eb-Gb-Bbb (1-b3-b5-bb7)

Cmin(maj7) C-Eb-G-B (1-b3-5-7) -the "James Bond" chord

I hope I don't sound too pedantic.
"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture"

@Syscrusher: Thanks a whole lot for the tons of contributions you have made. Now I must say, I am learning the process of real notation and enjoying it :D
@LPChip: Im happy to see this video hearing a great song performed on a different instrument :D
eight9 uses and abuses Nintendo DS Lite, Korg DS-10 Plus, Acid Pro 4.0 and EEE PC900

ugocapeto

Post by ugocapeto » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 pm

yeah, i am gonna give my 1 or 2 cents for what it's worth.

i think the notes should be given in the standard letter notation. Since you have the keyboard layout on the ds-10 screen, i think it's a pretty natural thing to consider. It's a good way to learn the keyboard layout if you are not too familiar with it.

For the duration and velocity (volume), well, it's really up to you but it seems rather easy to handle, one way or the other. For the drums, it's pretty much the same since people use the drum channels for something else anyways but i can see not giving the notes for drumming assuming all drum channels are drums.

I am not super familiar with tracker notation but it's basically what you're gonna end up with.

A last word about music theory. A lot of people get turned off by the scales and the chords and all, but in reality, it's real simple as it's all about intervals and degrees. Pick up any book on music theory and I can tell you that you will know everything there is to know about scales and chords real real fast. And you'll learn other things like stable tones and much more.

Oh, i almost forgot. Someone on this very forum said he would do the export to MIDI format from the SAV (obtained with the NDS adapter) and I am really waiting for that because that would be a major breakthrough (for me, at least). Problem is that you can export but you can't import (checksum), so it would only be from DS-10 to something else (fine with me).

PS: i really like your blog.

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:30 pm

Here is a transcription of "Walking" by LPchip (hope you don't mind LPchip). Notice that even if you don't read music you can still play the song and follow along. That is one of the beauties of standard notation - it is very visual - notes rise and fall on the staff as the pitches rise and fall. The other great thing about it is that here you have the raw song ready to be interpreted by anyone on any instrument. After a bit of familiarity you can look at the music on the page and "hear" it in your head; It's like reading a book and hearing the words in your head. No complex code is going to do that and in fact ends up being far more complicated and time consuming to decode. Trust me, the small investment in time to learn standard notation will pay off big time. Plus there is a difference between reading music and sight-reading music. Reading music just involves looking at the notes and understanding what is going on while sight-reading involves playing those notes on an instrument as you read them on the page. They are two different skill sets and not everyone need become a skilled sight-reader - this is a practiced skill and much more difficult.

I took LPchip's 12 step patterns to be two measures ( or bars) of 6/8 time each.
Sorry these pages are different sizes, just happened somehow in the JPEG conversion.
The tempo is appropriately marked "andante" - walking speed.
Walking-1.jpg
Walking-2.jpg
Walking-3.jpg
Walking-4.jpg
I find there is a certain satisfaction in seeing one's music on the page like this.
If anyone spots any errors let me know.

Oh yes, this was done in a program called Finale.[*]

LPChip

Post by LPChip » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:17 pm

Cool notations Syscrusher. :)

And I don't mind it at all that you did it.

I wonder though, what is D.S. al Coda?

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:37 pm

LPChip wrote:Cool notations Syscrusher. :)

And I don't mind it at all that you did it.

I wonder though, what is D.S. al Coda?
Glad you approve!

O.K. now for some notation explanation...

Basically The D.S al Coda is one of several types of instruction regarding repeating material. For instance, without a D.S. al Coda the "Walking" sheet music would have been several pages longer and it's structure not as immediately clear.

D.S. stands for "Dal Segno" which means "the sign" or "the symbol". This is the symbol to which it refers:
Dal Segno.jpg
Dal Segno.jpg (820 Bytes) Viewed 703 times
Wikipedia defines Coda as "a passage which brings a movement or piece to a conclusion through prolongation" which is accurate enough. The Coda symbol is this:
CodaSign.jpg
CodaSign.jpg (713 Bytes) Viewed 703 times
So, the "D.S. al Coda" is a set of instructions meaning "go to the sign/symbol
Dal Segno.jpg
and play through until you reach the Coda sign
CodaSign.jpg
at which point you jump to the second Coda sign where the Coda actually begins.
When reading the music these symbols are ignored until you reach instructions as to what to do with them such as: D.S al Coda (defined above),
D.S. al Fine (go to the sign and end the piece at the measure marked fine,

To use "Walking" as an example:
Play through until you reach the D.S. al Coda instruction at measure 52 at which point jump back to the sign
Dal Segno.jpg
at the start of measure 9 and play through till the first Coda sign
CodaSign.jpg
at the end of measure 32 and then jump to the Coda sign at the top of page 3 (marked measure 55 but is actually measure 53 of the piece - I forgot to un-number the empty and un-played two bars at the end of page 2). All of page 3 and 4 is the Coda section.

You will also encounter the instruction Da Capo (D.C.) which means "from the head" or "from the beginning". Thus you will see:
D.C. al fine (go to the beginning and play to the fine,
D.C. al Coda (go to the beginning and play to the Coda)

I hope this was clear. Have Fun!

LPChip

Post by LPChip » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:04 pm

Cool.

I, for a moment, thought, that I discovered your real name X)

I really should learn sheet music :P

ugocapeto

Post by ugocapeto » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:07 pm

you guys are obsessed with that song or what?

LPChip

Post by LPChip » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:48 pm

ugocapeto wrote:you guys are obsessed with that song or what?
Yeah, its so coooll.... :D

Now, is that shameless self promotion, or what! :mrgreen:

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:36 pm

ugocapeto wrote:you guys are obsessed with that song or what?
Ha, yes I think it is a good tune, but it was also a good example of a two-voiced song that could be easily transcribed. Plus it came up in the thread so it just followed to use it as an example.