Live problem... tempo slowing?

soultron

Live problem... tempo slowing?

Post by soultron » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:27 pm

So we had a big show last night, and it went well. As things go, we incurred a problem.
It would seem that all of the songs seemed slower than normal. I'm wondering if there's a possiblinty that the clock slows down when the DS is not plugged into power. Has anyone experience this? :?:

Decktonic

Re: Live problem... tempo slowing?

Post by Decktonic » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:02 pm

I've noticed that sometimes the tempo seems to change slightly in parts where a song gets more complex, especially when in live mode, but I always told myself I was just crazy and that I need to get out more. Maybe I'm not crazy? It would be nice to know if other people experience this too.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

Sinqlogue

Post by Sinqlogue » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:46 pm

Same here!

It's something between the ears, trust me.

LPChip

Post by LPChip » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:02 am

It can be a psychological thingy...

If you want the song to go faster, you can get ahead of the notes, and the song might feel slower. (same works the other way around; if you want the song to go slower, it might seem too fast)

Geolm

Post by Geolm » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:27 pm

The bpm is incorrect on the korg ds-10, if you use a metronome you can hear a difference (ds10 bpm 120 = 122 bpm). May be this bug is random.... (it's just a guess)

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:44 pm

I mixed DS-10 to Pioneer CDJ and BPM was exactly the same and steady.
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:27 pm

DS-10 Dominator wrote:I mixed DS-10 to Pioneer CDJ and BPM was exactly the same and steady.
Matches up in Logic fine as well.

soultron

Post by soultron » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:11 pm

oh, it's usually steady, we match it with the DMG using LSDJ from time to time, but sometimes it seems slow.
I will say that this recent time was the afroman show and I'm not used to that kind of thing, but I think it was a weird thing in the past.

Geolm

Post by Geolm » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:36 am

When I do some live mix with two korg ds-10 I have to use the sync mode otherwise there is always some issue : a ds-10 goes faster or slower even if of course there are set to the same tempo.

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:44 pm

Geolm wrote:When I do some live mix with two korg ds-10 I have to use the sync mode otherwise there is always some issue : a ds-10 goes faster or slower even if of course there are set to the same tempo.
Does it actually "phase" or is it just an issue of the two DS-10s not starting at exactly the same time?

Geolm

Post by Geolm » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:11 am

Syscrusher wrote: Does it actually "phase" or is it just an issue of the two DS-10s not starting at exactly the same time?
I start the two ds-10 using hand synchronization, but it's almost perfect at the beginning but as long as we jam the "tempo gap" is increasing. So it does not phase, note that we are using a nitendo DS (yeah some people still use this model) and and DS lite.

LPChip

Post by LPChip » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:42 am

This could actually be the cause of the problem: The DS and DS Lite have different clockspeeds. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason for this problem's existance is because the DS simply isn't fast enough and is slightly off.

Geolm

Post by Geolm » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:00 pm

Hum they should have the same CPU frequency, here's a link see the comparison array http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS... might be another difference between the two models though

Paucity

Post by Paucity » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:06 am

I just solved this mystery after 6 months of trying to sync three DS's running DS-10 with an old tr-606, which uses sync24 instead of midi. Korg's take on bpm is slightly different than that of most other gear manufacturers. I was banging my head against the wall wondering why beats were falling out of sync with the several drum machines I used as the master MIDI Clock Signal for my setup.

When I realized that the DS's weren't falling out of sync with my Kaossilator (which can't send MIDI Start and Stop signals even in the pro model) I ordered a Korg Electribe to provide the clock for all of the other MIDI gear. Now everything is ship shape. It's a shame that Korg doesn't manufacture an affordable, simple drum machine. The Electribe seems like overkill for this purpose.