Translating from DS10 to Korg Legacy MS20

alexusual

Translating from DS10 to Korg Legacy MS20

Post by alexusual » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:08 pm

I wonder if anybody has any experiences using the Korg Legacy MS20 to recreate DS10 sounds/tracks?

I recently bought the Korg Legacy version of the MS20 with controller and am having loads of fun making fat sounds with it, but have yet to get my head around all the patch routings etc and how they relate to the DS10s layout.

I feel like the DS10 has been an excellent introduction into the world of subtractive synthesis, and now I want to take it further with fuller sounds and more complex patches. However I have some patches on the DS10 i really like and want to make on the MS20, but I'm not finding it totally straightforward, for example how to feedabck VCO2 back into VCO1 or VCO2 like on the DS10

Any ideas?
If in doubt, feed the VCO2 into something ..

ChrisLody

Re: Translating from DS10 to Korg Legacy MS20

Post by ChrisLody » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:54 pm

Hey Alex

I don't have an Ms20 or the legacy version but i have checked out the patch panel on the legacy version and it doesn't appear to have an output from either VCO to use for modulation so i doesn't look like you'll be able to do audio rate modulation stuff with it which is a shame. You might be able to do something similar using the LFO (MG in oldschool Korg speak) if it goes fast enough, but it won't track the keyboard. It does have a lot of other stuff that ds10 can't do though, like being able to retrigger the envelopes from an LFO for example.

I was also looking for something that can do some of the things that ds10 can do and opted for Uhe's ACE that can do audio rate modulation, but even it still can't manage some of the things ds10 can do. Thats the thing about synths, nearly all the good ones can do things that others can't so you've got to keep buying. That's my excuse anyway :D

I'm jealous by the way, i want your Ms20! :twisted:

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:56 pm

I have been working with the MS-20 VST as well and it seems really different indeed.

I also thought it was pretty strange you can't control MG speed with the mod wheel.
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:09 pm

recommended:

soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:03 pm

DS-10 Dominator wrote:recommended:
Christ Almighty! Its even more complicated than it looks. Now i really want one.

alexusual

Post by alexusual » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:38 pm

Thanks for the super helpful replies!

The videos were amazingly helpful, probably saved me about 6 months of messing around!

Yeh I'm really pleased to have an MS20 controller, its such a charactaristic synth and if its what the DS10 was based on it must be good!

Its a shame about the lack of a feedback option for VCO2, but theres something mentioned in the videos about the headphone out and that might do something similar - i will be trying it out tomorrow!

i will probably check out the synth u mention chris, tho after i have got my head around this one - one synth at a time! :D

what i would love to see is a program that could translate DS10 patches onto the MS20, or even a diagram to explain how to set it up as a DS10 style synth(i will be working on that!). Plugging my DS10 midi and step sequencer info into a fully powered synth and getting the sound sout would be amazing!

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:12 pm

alexusual wrote: Its a shame about the lack of a feedback option for VCO2, but theres something mentioned in the videos about the headphone out and that might do something similar - i will be trying it out tomorrow!

i will probably check out the synth u mention chris, tho after i have got my head around this one - one synth at a time! :D

what i would love to see is a program that could translate DS10 patches onto the MS20...
That's a nice idea! I wondered why there was a headphone socket on a vsti, they must have included it just for that work around, cool stuff.

I don't blame you for getting your head around the Ms20 first, seems like it might take a while. Once you've got your head around its nuances you should be able to translate most ds10 patches with ease as most of the components are the same, its just how they connect together that a bit different.

alexusual

Post by alexusual » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:52 pm

Hi,

So, I've had a bit of a mess around with the headphone out, and its doing SOMETHING. Seems to have best effect in Intitial Gain socket.

I'm a bit upset that I cant feed VC02 into other stuff! I've downloaded uhe's ACE and am having a fiddle - seems pretty awesome so far!

Anyway my mind is boggling a bit, I'm not getting anything like the sounds I have out of the DS10, but I am getting lots of cool other noises ... totally by accident tho. I see my future, and it involved lots of patch cables and 'ah ha!' moments.

Has there been any whiffs of the idea to turn the DS10 into a VST? *hopeful face*

i just love the workflow of the DS10, I wan to recreate that as much as poss in my studio setup...

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:15 pm

alexusual wrote:Has there been any whiffs of the idea to turn the DS10 into a VST? *hopeful face*

i just love the workflow of the DS10, I wan to recreate that as much as poss in my studio setup...
I absolutely agree! I really can't believe how well the synth engine in ds10 was designed, i'd buy a ds10 plugin in a heartbeat. ACE is the closest thing i've found, but then you have to rely on your host to do things like the kaoss x/y (one of the master stokes of ds10 in my opinion) which is rarely as slick. Good thing is you can demo ACE and see what you can come up with, and decide if its for you or not.

Was ds10 your first exposure to synths? If so you have equally stuck gold and jumped in a the deep end.

alexusual

Post by alexusual » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:41 pm

Yes, the DS10 was the first synth I got into! I'm so happy they made it cos otherwise i think I never would have spent the time to learn about EG's and patch routing and the differences between the waveforms. I'd messed with that stuff on softsynth but theres so many options i would get lost and also the lack of visualization on the DS10 really made me use my ears I think.

Anyway, now I 've got the basics from that, I'm enjoying applying that to these other synths - the Korg legacy is fat indeed, I'm sure I'll have some greta sounds out of it in time, and the ACE seems just, well, ACE! I pretty sure i will by it, its a good price and I'm finding the sounds are ridiculously good. Feeding back VCO's into themselves is just so much fun :D

thanks for the tip Chris!

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:35 pm

Well for me ds10 is the first synth i've really learned to use like the back of my hand.

I'd been using softsynths for a few years and had learned what everything was for and had a basic knowledge of sound design. I really wasn't prepared for how much i learned about synthesis when i got ds10, its an excellent sound design learning tool. I'm sure i've more to learn too. A lot of that i think is down to there being virtually no presets, you NEED to build you own sounds. I've yet to carry a lot of what i've learned back into the studio because i find ds10 so satifying to work with i've become quite obsessed with it and haven't got round to it, but i'm sure i'll get there eventually :)

Glad you like ACE, its certainly on par with ds10 in it design.