legato + step sequencer = click problem?

Geolm

legato + step sequencer = click problem?

Post by Geolm » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:16 am

Hi,

I'd like to know if I am the only one to have this problem, let me explain: when I make a legato sound (one note for a whole bar) and I change stuff in the step sequencer (pan, kaosx/y, volume), I've got a nasty click sound each time the pan/kaos/volume changes. It is very annoying, I can't do a proper side chaining w/o patching because otherwise I can hear a click each time the volume changes :(

Has anyone every experienced this? Is there a work-around?

Thanks

Syscrusher

Re: legato + step sequencer = click problem?

Post by Syscrusher » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:16 pm

Geolm wrote:Has anyone every experienced this? Is there a work-around?
Oh yes, one of the many manifestations of the dreaded click - the panning click. Not sure of a work around, all I know is that sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. Check the "bugs" thread where there is some discussion of the "click" problem and some solutions that may or may not work in your case.

I can say that, of the things you mentioned, I have only experienced it with panning. I never have had a problem with volume or kaoss (except when using for panning). I mostly notice it when changing to a pattern that introduces new tones and then it is certainly not consistent in its manifestation.

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:23 pm

Geolm wrote:Has anyone every experienced this? Is there a work-around?
Hi Geolm

I've heard clicks on ds10 and have found a few ways to minimize them.

My best self educated guess is that its caused by the ds hardware not maintaining zero crossing during volume changes. This would account for pan too as this is just volume changes on 2 channels. I have no definate proof of this but previous experience would suggest it.

With regards to volume the best option is to pretty much ignore the volume parameter and instead route kaoss x or y to the level knob of the synth you want to control. For some reason this doesn't produce the clicks that the volume setting does, it may be mixed in software rather than hardware which could explain things. Its also good for the sidechaining you want to emulate as you can use the SMT (smooth) setting and it will sound a bit more like a real compressor.

There's no work around for the panning but you can minimize the problem a bit. The clicks are more noticeable with bassey sub type material so avoid panning this where possible. Also don't hard pan back and forth with the pan parameter, move one block up and down instead as this may produce a smoother pan. You may notice clicks less if you pan only at the start of notes too.

Hope this helps. :)

Geolm

Post by Geolm » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:16 am

ChrisLody wrote:
Hope this helps. :)
Indeed, thank you very much, I will use the kaoss trick as soon as I get home :) Beware you'll hear some nasty side-chaining effect soon ;)

PS: damn, this forum is so cool, so many cool guys around here, all fan of korg ds-10 :)

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:35 pm

ChrisLody wrote: With regards to volume the best option is to pretty much ignore the volume parameter and instead route kaoss x or y to the level knob of the synth you want to control. For some reason this doesn't produce the clicks that the volume setting does, it may be mixed in software rather than hardware which could explain things. Its also good for the sidechaining you want to emulate as you can use the SMT (smooth) setting and it will sound a bit more like a real compressor.
THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:54 pm

AGAIN?
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:30 pm

DS-10 Dominator wrote:AGAIN?
YES AGAIN!
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases