Xbox Live Game Work In Progress Thread.

PattyRhodes

Xbox Live Game Work In Progress Thread.

Post by PattyRhodes » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:23 am

Hey Everyone! (freaking neighbors just banged on their wall cause my music was too loud...pff I could barely hear it).

Well the main reason I got in to the Korg Ds 10 was to create music for a Independent Game I'm developing this summer for Xbox Live Indie Games. Its for my Masters Thesis.

The concept is this. You are a Parkour Graffiti Artist akin to a Modern/Urban Ninja. Your goal is to Wall Jump, Wall Run, Flip, Skip, and Bob your way through a Grey, Colorless City. There is a Checkpoint Time that can only be refilled by Tagging Walls and shit. Fastest Times or Longest Times total times are what you strive for.

Its going to be a 2.5-D game. The camera will be positioned like any other Side Scroller, but everthing will be 3-d. Cept the Matte Painting background.

The music will be Hip Hop. It will start out with a simple Bass Drum. Every time you spray, The music will evolve with more tracks, new patterns, new beats. Also, Color will start to fill in the city.

I made this concept pitch about 3 years ago in a few hours.

Click ----> http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=506351969926

Let me know if the link is broken. Facebook is the only place I have that uploaded right now.

Well anyways, I was going to use this thread as a platform for demoing my music for the game. I'll post other stuff to to give the music context, But I'll have a separate blog just for the game itself.

I plan to have the Character made by the end of the Month. And I'll have some preliminary beats by then too.
Patrick Roeder | www.PatRArt.com | Masters in Digital Production Arts

PattyRhodes

Re: Xbox Live Game Work In Progress Thread.

Post by PattyRhodes » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:03 pm

I got my first song down and recorded.

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/pattyrhodes/alley-cat[/soundcloud]

ChrisLody

Post by ChrisLody » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:22 pm

Sounds like an interesting idea. I have no game design experience, but plenty of playing experience!

So is the music going to be a big part of the game or just like a reinforcement of the players progress? I always like the idea of graphics being synced with the sound somehow, like the colours of the tags pulsing along with the beat, or maybe some sort of basic rhythm game interaction for certain tasks.

Have you ever played the Warriors game? It had a really nice graffiti mechanic where you had to trace round a basic shape of what you were spraying with the analog stick.

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:59 pm

Cool track man, keep it up. I like the drums, good hip-hop sounds.

An idea for a song: try to turn the swing way up. And then place some extra 8th note kicks sparsely, at these moments the groove really pushes forward.
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

PattyRhodes

Post by PattyRhodes » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:32 am

ChrisLody wrote:Sounds like an interesting idea. I have no game design experience, but plenty of playing experience!

So is the music going to be a big part of the game or just like a reinforcement of the players progress? I always like the idea of graphics being synced with the sound somehow, like the colours of the tags pulsing along with the beat, or maybe some sort of basic rhythm game interaction for certain tasks.

Have you ever played the Warriors game? It had a really nice graffiti mechanic where you had to trace round a basic shape of what you were spraying with the analog stick.
I'm going to shoot for the music just becoming more complex with every Tag. If I have time after I get the game working and playing adequately, I'd love to play around with more advanced interaction with music.

Yeah that warriors game was pretty sick. At this point I have no idea how I'm going to handle the actual spraying. I'm thinking position the sticks in a position where there is no Rumble. And of course randomize how much the rumble position moves around. Harder tags would have a smaller sweet spot.

Also, If I can get a good grasp on camera position I can bring the camera in real close to show the artist spraying. I'd do a few generic animations for the process, and have the whole wall in a stylized cloud of Spray Paint.

This makes my head hurt thinking about the code.

PattyRhodes

Post by PattyRhodes » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:36 am

DS-10 Dominator wrote:Cool track man, keep it up. I like the drums, good hip-hop sounds.

An idea for a song: try to turn the swing way up. And then place some extra 8th note kicks sparsely, at these moments the groove really pushes forward.
Interesting suggestion! By eighth note kicks, are u referring to the classical sense of the term "Eighth Note". Like the AND of counting ; "1, AND, 2, AND," ? Would that translate to a single block?

HarleyLikesMusic
Site Admin

Post by HarleyLikesMusic » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:54 pm

nice track man :D and the game idea is looking cool!
DS-10 Producers that I have seen live:
AuxPulse, Critical Strike, DS-10 Dominator

(I will travel the world and add a lot more to this list one day)

DS-10 Dominator
Site Admin

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:38 pm

PattyRhodes wrote:
DS-10 Dominator wrote:Cool track man, keep it up. I like the drums, good hip-hop sounds.

Interesting suggestion! By eighth note kicks, are u referring to the classical sense of the term "Eighth Note". Like the AND of counting ; "1, AND, 2, AND," ? Would that translate to a single block?
Yep, the last AND.

I think in hip-hop using very few 8th notes in all of the drums tracks (simple 4 hi-hat ticks, simple snare on 3) except some very swingy (delayed) 8th note in the bassdrum can sound really cool.
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

PattyRhodes

Post by PattyRhodes » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:34 am

Hey Everyone,

Its been awhile since I've been around, but I have been really busy lately getting my portfolio ready for video game conferences. gotta get a job.

I wanted to stop by and post a few screenshots of my Video Game Character Model.

http://www.fx.clemson.edu/~droeder/jpg_ ... a_full.jpg

http://www.fx.clemson.edu/~droeder/jpg_ ... e_full.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Also be sure to check out the rest of my webiste at http://www.patrart.com and let me know what you think.

Hopefully I'll be back into the Korg soon.

Megatroid

Post by Megatroid » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:44 pm

That model looks sweet!!

Have you checked out the game for Wii, De Blob? Its very similar to what you describe with music and painting. You are a blob the runs around painting different colours, and each colour represents an instrument in the music. So you'll be running around and theres a smooth jazz beat, and then you start painting e.g. purple, and the sax starts does some little fills, then green and the drummer does a little break etc. Its very well executed.

Checked out your website, it is extremely fucking cool.