Site Admin

Panda Left - VATLVA

Post by DS-10 Dominator » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:47 am

Song of the Month 2010 #1

Song title: VATLVA
Audio file: http://kurtasbestos.com/ongaks/Panda_Left-VATLVA.mp3
Date Recorded: 2010.02.04
Equipment used: KORG DS-10, KORG D888

Concept: I started this song on the Mosquito Fleet school bus on the way back from Atwater, California, where we had gone to witness the Polini Cup Finals. Travis had recently picked up a KORG DS-10 for his Nintendo DS, as had Alan of Landsquid fame. I brought both of my DSes and 2 copies of the DS-10 along for the trip, so during the 36-hour bus ride home, Zach from Portland and Travis and I played around with our music toys. I think this song started as a parody of that cake video that the Landsquids destroyed our brains with... but it slowly changed into a collection of me playing around with random weird things. Eventually I grew to like this song, and it became one of several songs that I would work on regularly while walking to/from work. The title is, like most things in my life, a reference to something that means nothing to anyone other than Chris Salmonson and Brian.

Process: As my first song for this project, I realized that it's not going to be easy, but it IS going to be great for forcing me to work on what I want to work on. There are a few little details I need to work on, but overall I'm happy with how things sound. Various limitations to the DS-10 (for example, fading out a single instrument while changing patterns around is nightmarishly difficult) made recording the song difficult, but I also just need to practice it more. There is one more part that I want to add that will serve to tie various elements of the song together and provide a more interesting ending, but I ran out of time to practice it, so it didn't make it into the January version of this song. I'm probably going to be saying that a lot this year.

Comments: I almost had this thing out before February, but for some reason the "noisy" part on my DS-10 didn't work the way it was supposed to unless I stopped and started the song. So there are some choppy punch-ins in the song where I had to repeatedly re-record the parts I kept messing up. I suppose knowing how to use my mixer and practicing the song more would have made things easier. Oh well, I'm happy that I got through the end of a song, and I'm excited to continue working on this year-long project!
→ カート
http://kurtasbestos.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... atlva.html
soundcloud.com/auxpulse soundcloud.com/ds10dominator

Sugarcrave

Re: Panda Left - VATLVA

Post by Sugarcrave » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:44 pm

I thought meh at first but then it really takes off into total awesomeness. :o Nice find Rutger.

alexusual

Re: Panda Left - VATLVA

Post by alexusual » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:08 pm

wow -catchy lil tune - love the pure 8 bit sounds and lovely clean lead arps. some awesome rythmns and changes there m8 ;D
If in doubt, feed the VCO2 into something ..