bryface - a new GIRL appears!!

bryface

bryface - a new GIRL appears!!

Post by bryface » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:32 pm

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/bryface/a-new-girl-appears-ds-10[/soundcloud]

this one features a lot of KAOSS pad soloing. the solo at the end was originally going to be a lot shorter, but i kept liking what came out, so i went a little overboard.

i also wanted to capture the feel of menu-based japanese dating sim games -- not that i've actually played any of them, but they all seem to share a particular flowery pop sort of aesthetic, which i thought was interesting.

AnOwl

Re: bryface - a new GIRL appears!!

Post by AnOwl » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:41 am

bryface wrote:not that i've actually played any of them
;)

Geolm

Post by Geolm » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:26 am

Great song, I don't know why but I like the way the melody get slightly out of key in the beginning. You got a nice bass sound and your solo is good and not too long.

@AnOwl : yeah they all say that ;)

bryface

Post by bryface » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:19 am

Geolm wrote:Great song, I don't know why but I like the way the melody get slightly out of key in the beginning. You got a nice bass sound and your solo is good and not too long.

@AnOwl : yeah they all say that ;)
Actually, the detuning sound you mentioned is actually a result of me being super frugal with my patterns. there's two points where the detuning happens in the verse part, but they use the same pattern: a melody line that uses the maximum portamento value. The intended result was that the melody line would continue to hold the last note from the previous pattern.

Unfortunately, maximum portamento still has a little bit of porta in it, so there is still a lot of drifting from the previous note to the held note. i tried mitigating it with some other tricks, like a triangle wave patched into the Pitch to counter the drift, and by wildly changing the held note in the pattern so that the porta wouldn't slide as quickly to the held note... but even with that, there was still a tiny bit of porta. Eventually i just gave up and tried to pass it off as an artistic effect, which i am totally glad to do here if people end up liking it.

As for my claim that i haven't played dating sims, it's all true. I have no problems admitting that i played one (as long as it was fun), but i just never got around to it. But at the risk of overgeneralizing, based on what i've read about them and other hearsay, a lot of those games feature a lot of the same staples - first-person view of a random girl in question, some menu screens, some stats indicating interest level, and some bouncy music.

Geolm

Post by Geolm » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:29 am

bryface wrote: As for my claim that i haven't played dating sims, it's all true. I have no problems admitting that i played one (as long as it was fun), but i just never got around to it. But at the risk of overgeneralizing, based on what i've read about them and other hearsay, a lot of those games feature a lot of the same staples - first-person view of a random girl in question, some menu screens, some stats indicating interest level, and some bouncy music.
Hey, I was just kidding ! And even if you were playing those games, I don't mind, if it's fun, everyone has the right to play a game (remember I am a video game developer, it's my job to make everyone play video game).

soultron

Post by soultron » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:16 pm

I dig this! Seems more like an RPG background song.... which is I guess what dating sims are...
I really like it!

ratface1987

Post by ratface1987 » Sat May 04, 2013 9:41 am

If dating sims were full of DS10 tracks like this I'd have to play, despite being married in real life. haha. Great track.