Midriff

Lifevirus

Midriff

Post by Lifevirus » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:47 pm

Been a while since i've been here. But college is a horrible time sink, but at least I managed to find an excuse to make songs again!

Either way, I call this Midriff. Don't know why I called it that, but it's a decent songs but not by all means good. Just something that came out of a pattern I made for the game my class is working on. I may upload the patterns, depends on the reaction to this.
http://soundcloud.com/ambientvirus/midriff

Geolm

Re: Midriff

Post by Geolm » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:05 am

Just few comments:
- I find the mix unbalanced, the lead synth is very loud it's hard to hear other instrument (is there "sidechain" chords in the background?)
- You drums samples are very "out of the box", very dry, you can have much fatter sound with the korg ds10
- Otherwise I like the ambient of the track, of course it's a bit short but you have an idea to work on :)

Lifevirus

Post by Lifevirus » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:49 pm

Geolm wrote:Just few comments:
- I find the mix unbalanced, the lead synth is very loud it's hard to hear other instrument (is there "sidechain" chords in the background?)
- You drums samples are very "out of the box", very dry, you can have much fatter sound with the korg ds10
- Otherwise I like the ambient of the track, of course it's a bit short but you have an idea to work on :)
1. Ya, a sidechain is in there. I probably could shift the sound around a bit to bring that out. Though I think the loudness may be a result of the headphone-to-microphone port recording method that I used. Though I'm not sure, my easycap capture device doesn't work on Win7 for some reason, but I have alternate means of recording.

2. Never though of that, but again i'm going mostly off of pure guessing since my class doesn't care what I make but I need to have a guitar sound (Thanks Audioartist for the distorted guitar patch for that). I have other patches so I'll screw around with it.

3. Thanks, I figured this was more of a hit and miss. I may go back later on to fix it, but I need to make some other patterns for the game before I'll probably go back on this one.

Infininja

Post by Infininja » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:29 am

I definitely noticed the default, stale percussion set. I really recommend you change that.

Is the sidechaining actually done automatically or is it faked? (Basically, is there a way to actually do sidechaining in DS-10?)

NeoS

Post by NeoS » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:39 am

Infininja wrote: Is the sidechaining actually done automatically or is it faked? (Basically, is there a way to actually do sidechaining in DS-10?)
There is no way to do it automatically, but it can be faked well. See Anthony Seeha's tutorial on the subject: http://ds10forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=294 Many of his songs have used the technique to great effect.
genius is 1% inspiration 99% perspiration (thomas edison)