Hello IM new!

smashboy

Hello IM new!

Post by smashboy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey guyz new to the boards and just introducing myself lolz i've been using DS-10 on my 3DS for a while and I'm in search for tutors,tutorial and guides because I know nothing about creating music so I hope to find what I'm looking for! It seems as though I can create awesome stuff but they dont sound much like a song,more like 3 second loops and I try linking the different patterns together but it sounds junky and boring lol any advice? :mrgreen:

QauNuckShin

Re: Hello IM new!

Post by QauNuckShin » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:52 am

Welcome!
smashboy wrote:any advice?
Sure.

Try starting out doing a cover of some song you like. It doesn't have to be a DS-10 song, or even anything electronic. It'll give you the opportunity to learn the tools without having the "hassle" of having to actually compose music, and it will also give you some feeling for how music is built up.

As for the actual composing.. I really can't give you any advice there. I usually just happen to sit and mess around on my guitar, notice that "hey - that sounds pretty good!", then take it from there. When I have some of it in place, I'll try to fill it out by playing on the guitar or humming a new melody. Works pretty well.
QauNuckShin // Snild Dolkow
Purist - single-take, single DS-10, no editing.
Author of the DS-10 Manager application.
http://dolkow.se/music, https://www.facebook.com/snilddolkow

Snakecharmer

Post by Snakecharmer » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:05 pm

QauNuckShin wrote:When I have some of it in place, I'll try to fill it out by playing on the guitar or humming a new melody. Works pretty well.
Same here, I like to start with guitar riffs and then translate them to the DS-10; doing it this way grounds my progressions into something tangible for me. Once I have my foundation laid i just start twisting knobs until it sounds cool, haha. It may not be the most meditated approach but it's what works for me.
Plus the patches everyone shares on here are off the hook! Building some sounds or "instruments" is always a great place to start.

HutzC

Post by HutzC » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:18 pm

Welcome, I'm new here too. I've been using ds10+ for about 6 months now and I don't have or play a guitar. What i do with a synth that i want playing as a flowing lead is go into song mode, lay out the patterns you want the lead to play through. Then go to the kaos pad and press play and record. Mess around till you get anywhere from 4 to 16 patterns that work for you. If you want you can then pick through the patterns for the best ones, go to the sequencer and tweak with certain spots you like or don't. Like this you can wind up with a pretty nice lead. if you only wind up with like 4 patterns, you can go into the kaos pad again and mess with cutoff for example and add distortion like fx that you could use to add to the melody. Anyway, this method is useful for me when I'm trying to get the overall flow of a song down.