Hello from NW Wisconsin....

jminor

Hello from NW Wisconsin....

Post by jminor » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:31 pm

While researching Detune's new iOS app, "iYM2151", I found their videos for the M01. After a little more digging found more info on the M01 and the DS-10 & 10+. I'm not a musician, but am discovering ways to play on my iPad, and am interested learning more about the DS-10 & M01 systems. Could you tell me the primary differences between the M01 & DS-10 / 10+? The idea you can make a complete song on one of these devices blows my mind, and what little I've heard so far is wonderful......
The iYM2151 is a powerful FM synth workstation, but looks to be complicated. What peaked my interest is the DS-10/M01 workstations look pretty user friendly......
I look forward to learning more from this forum.....
Sincerely,
John

Decktonic

Re: Hello from NW Wisconsin....

Post by Decktonic » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:06 am

I think that's just about it, the DS10 / M01 are more user-friendly when it comes to sequencing a full track. You could get the iMS-20 on iPad, and that's emulating the same synth as the DS10, but the iMS-20 offers less for sequencing entire songs (you only get 1 synth instead of 2, and you are more limited in what you can do with your drum tracks).

If you are really into the sound, it might be worth getting a used Nintendo DSi and KORG DS10+ :)
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

jminor

Post by jminor » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:16 am

Thanks Decktonic, I will look into a DSi & DS-10, or DS-10+. What are the major differences between the DS-10/10+ and the M01?
I've been listening to some of your music, BRAVO! It's hard to believe it was created on a DS device.....

Decktonic

Post by Decktonic » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:52 pm

Thank you!

The DS10/DS10+ is a synthesizer. You can create all sorts of different sounds with it. Like any synthesizer it has a certain style of sound and a lot of limitations.

The M01 is a sampler. All the sounds come from built-in samples. You can't create any new sounds. It has a huge variety and there are lots of different styles of music you can make, but you might find a lot of the sounds to be reminiscent of those "midi" songs that were prevalent in the early days of the Internet.

They are both very very different software. It depends on what approach you want.
THISISDECKTONIC.com | [url=ttp://soundcloud.com/decktonic]latest tracks[/url] | releases

HutzC

Post by HutzC » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:45 am

Where are you at. I'm in La Crosse, WI and would be happy to show you DS-10 plus and MO1 in action if you ever made it down this way. If you wanted to look me up, I'm 3rd St. Basement Dweller everywhere else. Feel free to contact me through facebook or soundcloud.

http://soundcloud.com/3rd-st-basement-dweller
http://www.facebook.com/pages/3rd-St-Ba ... 9696299517
http://www.youtube.com/user/3rdStBD?feature=mhee