KORG Monotron Delay / Monotron Duo

Syscrusher

KORG Monotron Delay / Monotron Duo

Post by Syscrusher » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:49 pm

Yes that's right, Korg has unveiled two new versions of the Monotron: The "Monotron Delay" and the "Monotron Duo".

Basically the new features are as follows:

Monotron Delay: An "analogue style delay"
Switchable Square Wave/Triangle wave LFO with shape and intensity controls

Monotron Duo: Two individually tune-able oscillators
A pitch quantizer switch that tunes the ribbon to major/minor/chromatic scales
X-Mod modulator circuit from the Korg Mono/Poly

Apparently they will both retail for $60 US so count me in. I'm especially excited about the DUO though. I have a Midi mod kit for the monotron that I've been procrastinating with the installation so now I'll wait till I get my hands on the DUO.

More info and video here: http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2011/ ... ron-delay/

8-bot

Re: Two New Monotrons!

Post by 8-bot » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:37 pm

Nice! For me, Monotron Delay looks very fun. I was going to buy a Monotron but I think I'll wait to see what can be done with these two new pocket monsters (lol it sounds like pokemon here). I like the original Monotron (like the filter) but it seems hard to make anything but crying mosquitoes sounds. Maybe the three Monotron will make a nice combination, in that case, gotta catch 'em all.

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:00 pm

8-bot wrote:Nice! For me, Monotron Delay looks very fun. I was going to buy a Monotron but I think I'll wait to see what can be done with these two new pocket monsters (lol it sounds like pokemon here). I like the original Monotron (like the filter) but it seems hard to make anything but crying mosquitoes sounds. Maybe the three Monotron will make a nice combination, in that case, gotta catch 'em all.
Yeah the Monotron Delay looks cool but I've got plenty of delay options, I'll get the Delay for the switchable LFO. Actually it is nice to have the delay in the machine...
If you are interested, here is a tune I did using an un-modded monotron exclusively (delay is provided by a Roland RE-201 Space Echo):
http://soundcloud.com/syscrusher/syscru ... e-assembly

WMRhapsodies

Post by WMRhapsodies » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:23 pm

Nice one, Syscrusher. I've made some experimental landscapes, but really can't get any melody out of it.

One more video:

A monotron trio would be cool, but what I would really like is a casiotone size keyboard with all this features.

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:54 am

WMRhapsodies wrote:Nice one, Syscrusher. I've made some experimental landscapes, but really can't get any melody out of it. A monotron trio would be cool, but what I would really like is a casiotone size keyboard with all this features.
Thanks!

Like I mentioned, I'm in the process of modding a monotron to accept MIDI. Any MIDI keyboard will be able to play it but what I really want to do is to be able to control it with my Akai APK-25 (which is strictly USB) without a computer in the middle. The APK-25 has mini keys and a great arpegiator. For that I'm using an Arduino with a USB shield. Hopefully it will all work and I'll be able to post a cool video of a working monotron KEYBOARD!

8-bot

Post by 8-bot » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:43 am

That mod would be incredible Syscrusher!
Syscrusher wrote:
8-bot wrote:Nice! For me, Monotron Delay looks very fun. I was going to buy a Monotron but I think I'll wait to see what can be done with these two new pocket monsters (lol it sounds like pokemon here). I like the original Monotron (like the filter) but it seems hard to make anything but crying mosquitoes sounds. Maybe the three Monotron will make a nice combination, in that case, gotta catch 'em all.
Yeah the Monotron Delay looks cool but I've got plenty of delay options, I'll get the Delay for the switchable LFO. Actually it is nice to have the delay in the machine...
If you are interested, here is a tune I did using an un-modded monotron exclusively (delay is provided by a Roland RE-201 Space Echo):
http://soundcloud.com/syscrusher/syscru ... e-assembly
Very nice tune Sys! The Monotron sounds really good with that delay FX :mrgreen: amazed here.

WMRhapsodies

Post by WMRhapsodies » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:42 pm

Syscrusher wrote:...a working monotron KEYBOARD!
Right, an arpegiator was the missing piece on my demand. A cool plan indeed.

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:32 pm

8-bot wrote:That mod would be incredible Syscrusher!
Very nice tune Sys! The Monotron sounds really good with that delay FX :mrgreen: amazed here.
WMRhapsodies wrote:Right, an arpegiator was the missing piece on my demand. A cool plan indeed.
Thanks guys. I'll keep you updated on my progress.

WMRhapsodies

Re: KORG Monotron Delay / Monotron Duo

Post by WMRhapsodies » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:29 am

There are already videos with the new monotrons:

Some crazy stuff from Hilldebrandt7743:

---

Plus, I've finally uploaded my monotron track. I'm not really convinced about that repeated notes on the top...Well, I'm not sure about anything on this track, but anyway [remixed on Jan 10, see below]
Last edited by WMRhapsodies on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:51 pm

Nice track WM! I like that high repeated note but perhaps it should fade in and out rather that being continuous. Very cool sounds indeed.

WMRhapsodies

Post by WMRhapsodies » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:41 pm

Thanks a lot, Sys. I think you are right, but I'm not sure if I could fade that repeated note line without drastically changing the song since I already merged many of the tracks. I'll try anyway.

8-bot

Post by 8-bot » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:45 pm

WMRhapsodies wrote:There are already videos with the new monotrons:
Omg... Would be very fun to own the three monotrons for sure!

WMRhapsodies

Post by WMRhapsodies » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:52 am

37€ each on Thomann...I won´t resist!

And finally remixed my monotron track. The high note on the top is faded now as Syscrusher suggested. There is much less reverb now and a different ending. Hope you like it!:

http://soundcloud.com/iac/segunda-monotron-a

Syscrusher

Post by Syscrusher » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:30 pm

WMRhapsodies wrote:37€ each on Thomann...I won´t resist!

And finally remixed my monotron track. The high note on the top is faded now as Syscrusher suggested. There is much less reverb now and a different ending. Hope you like it!:

http://soundcloud.com/iac/segunda-monotron-a
Much better! Now that the constant beeping is gone you can now focus on all of the interesting sounds that are going on underneath.

WMRhapsodies

Post by WMRhapsodies » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:12 am

:) Glad you found was worth of the work, that garageband file was really so messy.

Pandurris

Post by Pandurris » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:19 am

This is not me, but this is the video made me buy the Monotron Delay, and I love it!!!

DISCLAIMER: PLAY THAT VIDEO WITH HEADPHONES AT YOUR OWN RISK. I'M SERIOUS!!!

8-bot

Post by 8-bot » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:07 am

I've seen this video before. Very nice!